Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

HELP ID THIS MAUSER PLEASE

A friend of mine recently acquired his step fathers 8mm Mauser. Were trying to figure out the history behind this piece, and possibly put a value to it. we know its a Mauser, but we have no clue the age or model/type. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Here is a link to a few photos;

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qSRPmYSTVrLwXYz17

MGO Member
    The 1906 on the receiver is the year of manufacture. All the numbers match, though I couldn't see the numbers on the bolt, but the last 2 were on the extracter. I can't tell if the stock is aftermarket or sporterized military. Next time I'm at the office I'll grab my Mauser books and see if I can find more info for you. Hope this helps so far.

I am a Forum User
    Looks like a sporterized Gewehr 98 WWI german rifle, DWM made these as well as the state arsenal in Erfurt and Mauser themselves. It's a cut down military stock missing it's hardware. The rifle is also missing it's lange "rollercoaster" adjustable back sight, most likely to get it out of the way of the peep sight. 8mm originally. Original versions are in the $700-2500 bracket depending on condition, yours has been modified so it would be worth much less. Recent sold examples of sporterized 98's range from $250-700 depending on quality of the work. Yours's looks to be at the low end of that spectrum, $250 would be a good price for it.
    Last edited by pzkfw1945@yahoo.; 04-20-2022 at 10:15 PM.

Marketplace Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkfw1945@yahoo. View Post
    Looks like a sporterized Gewehr 98 WWI german rifle, DWM made these as well as the state arsenal in Erfurt and Mauser themselves. It's a cut down military stock missing it's hardware. The rifle is also missing it's lange "rollercoaster" adjustable back sight, most likely to get it out of the way of the peep sight. 8mm originally. Original versions are in the $700-2500 bracket depending on condition, yours has been modified so it would be worth much less. Recent sold examples of sporterized 98's range from $250-700 depending on quality of the work. Yours's looks to be at the low end of that spectrum, $250 would be a good price for it.
    This is correct. And Spandau Arsenal also made Gewer98 rifles. I have one from 1907.

I would agree, and I would buy it at that price if barrel is good.

I noticed the peep sight, take some more pics of that, often peep sights even on vintage 22 from the 1950s can be worth $150 or more.

So take that into consideration.

Your gun is desirable as a shooter, but sadly collectors only want original stuff.

I would agree, and I would buy it at that price if barrel is good.

I noticed the peep sight, take some more pics of that, often peep sights even on vintage 22 from the 1950s can be worth $150 or more.

So take that into consideration.

Your gun is desirable as a shooter, but sadly collectors only want original stuff.