Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Shipping long gun USPS within Michigan

I'd like to ship a long gun across the state to a buyer.

Now, I understand I can use the USPS. Will they be needing to know it's a long gun or not. I don't want any surprises on that point.

Any tips very much appreciated.

Name:  USPS long gun.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  53.6 KB
    Above is from the ATF's website
    an FFL is allowed to ship a long gun in its original packaging, but us mere mortals have to ship it in a package that has no indication of what the contents are. The bolt is usually removed and packaged separately inside the box such that the weapon cant be cycled if the package were to break open during shipping (happens more often than one would think). Usually the staff at the post office can recognize it from the shape and weight, but provided you have complied with the basic requirements it would not matter. They will likely ask if there is any ammunition in the package, which as far as I am aware you are not allowed to ship via the postal service. I have shipped many packages of bullets (projectiles) and I almost always have to show the postmaster that I am shipping only the projectile with no cartridge, primers or powder (volatile contents) and then they are OK with it. As far as I am aware only a carrier (UPS/FEDEX) is allowed to ship live ammunition.

MGO Board of Directors

I shipped a long gun within the state once (last year, to a FFL). It was in a shop light box.

When I set it on the counter, the USPS employee said, "OK, you're shipping a shop light?"

I made the mistake (sort of) of saying, "No, actually that's a rifle and I'm shipping it to a FFL…."

He immediately informed me that only a FFL can mail a firearm. I countered, explaining that FFLs are required to ship a handgun, but not a long gun. He flat out refused to accept the package saying that HE wasn't going to accept it and risk his job. I pulled out my phone and pulled-up the USPS regulations that clearly say that a non-FFL can ship to anyone within the state. He said that he didn't care, HE wasn't going to accept the package. I asked to speak with a supervisor…

She came out and tried to say that only a FFL can ship a firearm. I asked her to look at the actual USPS regulations/laws. She didn't want to look at it on my phone, rather, she asked for the section cite (432.3a). I gave it to her and she went to the back room for a few minutes. When she came back, she ultimately acknowledged that I could mail the long gun.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Scroll down to 432.3a

Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when intended for delivery within the same state of mailing. These items must:
    Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.
    Be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.
    That's what's required…depending on who you encounter at the post office, you might need that cite.

In hindsight, I sort of wish I would have let the first clerk believe it was a shop light…but, it was an opportunity to educate, so it turned-out fine.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Thanks very much, guys. Info is very helpful...

PhotoTom

So, do you mean that you wish you would have just followed the USPS code and just kept mum on the contents?

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by BadBolt View Post
    Thanks very much, guys. Info is very helpful...

PhotoTom

So, do you mean that you wish you would have just followed the USPS code and just kept mum on the contents?
    For MY convenience, yes! It took more time out of my day than it should have.

However, there are at least 3 USPS employees (2 counter clerks and a supervisor) that now know that a non-FFL can indeed ship a long gun via USPS, so it was worth it from that perspective.

I just put "Return Service Requested" on the shipping label before I went to the Post Office and I shipped via Priority Mail (not Express), Signature Required…it got there and the FFL shipped it back via USPS direct to me (signature required), no problem.

Just to emphasize, I could have shipped direct to anyone (not prohibited to possess a firearm) within Michigan. I was shipping to an engraver that specializes in firearms, so they have a FFL.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    I shipped a long gun within the state once (last year, to a FFL). It was in a shop light box.

When I set it on the counter, the USPS employee said, "OK, you're shipping a shop light?"

I made the mistake (sort of) of saying, "No, actually that's a rifle and I'm shipping it to a FFL…."

He immediately informed me that only a FFL can mail a firearm. I countered, explaining that FFLs are required to ship a handgun, but not a long gun. He flat out refused to accept the package saying that HE wasn't going to accept it and risk his job. I pulled out my phone and pulled-up the USPS regulations that clearly say that a non-FFL can ship to anyone within the state. He said that he didn't care, HE wasn't going to accept the package. I asked to speak with a supervisor…

She came out and tried to say that only a FFL can ship a firearm. I asked her to look at the actual USPS regulations/laws. She didn't want to look at it on my phone, rather, she asked for the section cite (432.3a). I gave it to her and she went to the back room for a few minutes. When she came back, she ultimately acknowledged that I could mail the long gun.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

Scroll down to 432.3a

That's what's required…depending on who you encounter at the post office, you might need that cite.

In hindsight, I sort of wish I would have let the first clerk believe it was a shop light…but, it was an opportunity to educate, so it turned-out fine.

PT, I had a mostly similar experience here at my little PO in town. The clerk (supervisor wasn’t working) insisted he could not accept a long gun from an individual, I asked him to clarify and he said “I won’t” because he didn’t think it was permissible per USPS regs and with two other customers in line would not take the time to look at the pertinent regulations and also would not do so on my phone. No amount of polite asking would make him come off his “I will not take the chance and accept it”. But he recommended that I take it to the nearby postal hub in a larger city and have them deal with it.

20 minutes later and one person ahead of me in line I was presenting my prepaid package to the clerk there. She questioned it, I cited the reg and summarized that an individual could indeed ship a long gun, but not a pistol. She conferred with a colleague briefly and agreed that was correct and my package was on the way to its buyer out west who was happy to have it.

In order to not appear smug and alienate the local clerk whom I cross paths with with some regularity I elected not to try and educate him by showing him the shipping confirmation from the other office-he is not the type who would accept it gracefully or alter his ways.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
    an FFL is allowed to ship a long gun in its original packaging, but us mere mortals have to ship it in a package that has no indication of what the contents are. The bolt is usually removed and packaged separately inside the box such that the weapon cant be cycled if the package were to break open during shipping (happens more often than one would think).
    A little bit of misinformation here. Manufacturers always put the gun box inside of another plain shipping carton. They don't even put their full name on their return address. S&W puts SAW and Ruger SRC, for examples. In all my time of processing tens of thousands of firearms, I can only remember once or twice when a package arrived split open and something missing. They know how to ship and package correctly. It's the people who try to cut corners who have the problems.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    For MY convenience, yes! It took more time out of my day than it should have.

However, there are at least 3 USPS employees (2 counter clerks and a supervisor) that now know that a non-FFL can indeed ship a long gun via USPS, so it was worth it from that perspective.

I just put "Return Service Requested" on the shipping label before I went to the Post Office and I shipped via Priority Mail (not Express), Signature Required…it got there and the FFL shipped it back via USPS direct to me (signature required), no problem.

Just to emphasize, I could have shipped direct to anyone (not prohibited to possess a firearm) within Michigan. I was shipping to an engraver that specializes in firearms, so they have a FFL.
    If it makes you feel any better even us an FFL has had to educate some USPS employees and even a post office.

To give them credit they're never suppose to take the regulation off of someone's phone. We have a dedicated USPS rep in DC who stated what they should do is exactly like the supervisor did in your case and is to get the regulations book and look it up themself.

We've never had a clerk flat out refuse. Some have said they can't but then we tell them the regulation and they look it up and take it with the form.

The best one's is when the clerk says I know you're allowed to ship it but what do they have to do on there side to complete the paper work.
    Patriot Wholesale Direct LLC - FFL Dealer
    40 Engelwood Dr Ste A Lake Orion, MI (M-F 10am-5pm) - PWDGuns.com - ( 248 ) 481-7083
    $20 FFL Transfer - Guns@PatriotWholesaleDirect.com - Contact us for a quote on a new gun!
    Glock Stocking Dealer & Glock Blue Label Dealer • $20 Transfer Fee