Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thread: Savage Model 99

I am a Forum User

Savage Model 99

So, some years back I received an (at the time) unknown rusty firearm that had been stuck up in a basement ceiling. It got put on a shelf in my back room until this past weekend. I managed to scrub off some of the rust with some steel wool, and found both the maker and SN, but not a caliber mark. I've got a request in to the Center Of The West museum for info on the gun, because it's apparently too old for Savage to still have the records of. My question is, would it be worth it to have it restored, and if so, what would something like that cost?

MGO Member
    Well...its a Savage 99 with a bent lever. Not worth much in it's current condition. It appears that the action still works so that's a plus. To restore if would have to be detail stripped and each part cleaned and polished. However, if the barrel inside is as bad as the outside it would need to be replaced. Then the receiver cleaned and polished then reblued. Stock and fore arm found. Or you could probably do it if all you want to do it make it presentable but not shootable.. Work on the barrel in front of the receiver with steel wool. You should be able to find the caliber.

I can't read the serial number in the photo but you can do a search to find out when it was made here....

https://savagelevers.com/serial-number-search/

or here

http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

The serial number puts it as post 1950. It looks like the lever has been severely bent down from it's normal position. I'm thinking it's not worth the expense. You would probably spend more fixing it up than you could sell it for. If there is no caliber stamped into the barrel, you can have a gunsmith check the chamber, if that's not too corroded.
    NRA Life Member
    ICORE Member/Competitor

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    In excellent condition it would be worth around a grand. In that condition? I would save it for the next gun buy back
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

Marketplace Moderator
    It looks to me like it was in a fire. My garage burned once. The tools that I saved had that same patina. And no wood. If that is the case, the metal will not be as hard as it was from the factory. That
    Would be a safety issue. Just my opinion. Good Shooting, MOOSE

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moosefisher View Post
    It looks to me like it was in a fire. My garage burned once. The tools that I saved had that same patina. And no wood. If that is the case, the metal will not be as hard as it was from the factory. That
    Would be a safety issue. Just my opinion. Good Shooting, MOOSE
    I would need to agree.....I've seen many guns that have been in a fire it just has the look....plus the lever more than likely was formed to its existing shape from the heat of a fire....
    Best thing to do with it find some cheap wood bend the lever to fit the wood and put the gun on the wall.....

I am a Forum User
    Since you already have it, free, I would spend some elbow grease & see where you end up. Even if it’s just destined for the camp wall, could use some fixing up.

Just starting with fine steel wool mixed with gun oil, little at a time.