Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun chokes

I am a Forum User

Shotgun chokes

So I just got a girsan mc312 Turkey gun ( poor man's benelli) and it came with 5 chokes. My question is what one would hold the tightest pattern at at around 50yds? It came with
    Mod***
    Cyl*****
    Im**
    Full*
    Ic****
    And what do the stars stamped on them mean?
    And I know everything I've read is this guns built like a benelli so the other question is dose anyone know if it's the same thread pattern as benelli?? if I wanna buy aftermarket chokes. Dont know if any of this is a dumb question but kinda new to messing with shotgun chokes

I am a Forum User
    The stars indicate tightness/openness,

Cyl
    Ic
    Mod
    Im
    Full

In order from most open to tightest.

Not familiar with this brand, so I dont have a idea if they match others sorry, but alot of brands are interchangable.
    Last edited by Rasher; 04-25-2022 at 06:43 PM.

MGO Member
    Might want to do a search for after market Turkey Chokes? In my experience the extended Turkey chokes tend to pattern better. Might also call the choke manufacturer for their advice on shot size.

I am a Forum User
    Which choke is best would also be affected by what size shot you are planning on using.

MGO Member
    If the gun is new with an owners manual, it should be listed in it what style choke tubes will fit it. Once you know that info look at aftermarket extended turkey chokes, they will pattern tighter than the flush choke tubes.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mark51185 View Post
    So I just got a girsan mc312 Turkey gun ( poor man's benelli) and it came with 5 chokes. My question is what one would hold the tightest pattern at at around 50yds? It came with
    Mod***
    Cyl*****
    Im**
    Full*
    Ic****
    And what do the stars stamped on them mean?
    And I know everything I've read is this guns built like a benelli so the other question is dose anyone know if it's the same thread pattern as benelli?? if I wanna buy aftermarket chokes. Dont know if any of this is a dumb question but kinda new to messing with shotgun chokes
    Regarding your question which choke would hold the tightest pattern at 50 yards the answer is the full choke. Now what are you trying to do with this gun at 50 yards, if you want to shoot turkeys then you need a turkey choke which is tighter than a full choke by a notch. For clay discipline shooting, I would recommend IC (improved Cylinder) that is the **** for skeet, IM (Improved modified) or the M (modified) for regular 16 yards trap and the Full for handicap trap i.e. 22 yards or more. Sporting clays mostly use Modified since you have one barrel.

The stamps or the *'s is a nother terminology for the choke rating starting with the F for full as one * being the tightest, and then as it opens up to IM (improved modified) two **, more opened choke is modified (M) or *** and IC (improved cylinder as **** and finally the most open choke same as bore is the C or cylinder (*****). some manufacturers use the stars * only with no letters, other manufacturers use the letters only like F or M or IM, etc.. in your case they are using both the letters and the stars, that is cool.. Other manufacturers do not use letters or starts but rather use notches..

the MC312 like alot of the turkish shotguns uses benelli/mobil chokes.. A simple google or a look at the gun manual should confirm that. the choke type determined both the thread and the stepped length of the choke.. And yes you can buy after market chokes that could be flushed or extended as long as they are benelli/mobil chokes.

Benelli uses a number of chokes based on the model numbers some use benelli/mobil xhokes and newer versions use slightly different models. So for your MC312 if you shop online shop for benelli / mobil chokes. but I guess you have all basic 5 chokes with the gun so you really do not need any chokes unless you want to shoot turkeys, then invest in a turkey extended choke and make sure it is a benelli/mobil type of a choke..

I hope this helps with answering your questions.

If you like my answer feel free to give me green stamps
    Last edited by JimSig; 04-25-2022 at 08:36 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks so much!! You were very helpful!! And I ordered a choke this morning a Carlson's Long Beard XR since this is what I bought the gun specifically Turkey hunting. I have many other shotguns just none with removable chokes. I bought Winchester long beard xr 3 1/2 5shot so what I've read is the choke I bought goes well with that ammo

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mark51185 View Post
    Thanks so much!! You were very helpful!! And I ordered a choke this morning a Carlson's Long Beard XR since this is what I bought the gun specifically Turkey hunting. I have many other shotguns just none with removable chokes. I bought Winchester long beard xr 3 1/2 5shot so what I've read is the choke I bought goes well with that ammo
    you are welcome

I am a Forum User
    Every gun/choke combo is different, when I got into turkey hunting 25 or so years ago, I bought a box of every 3-1/2" turkey loads I could find on the shelf and patterned my loads. It's not cheap these days to do this, but with that gun and choke comb, you will only have to do it once. I also urge you as a new turkey hunter, try to keep your shots under 30yrds. You're really stretching it to shoot 50yrds and down a turkey, plus what you perceive to be 50 yrds in the field may very well be much further than that in the heat of the moment. I still have some of that ammo that didn't work in my gun, and if you were on this side of the state, I would donate a couple out of ea. bx. If you have a buddy that is getting into the sport with you, split the cost and buy as many varieties as possible.

Good luck on the chase!
    Gary

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Every gun/choke combo is different, when I got into turkey hunting 25 or so years ago, I bought a box of every 3-1/2" turkey loads I could find on the shelf and patterned my loads. It's not cheap these days to do this, but with that gun and choke comb, you will only have to do it once. I also urge you as a new turkey hunter, try to keep your shots under 30yrds. You're really stretching it to shoot 50yrds and down a turkey, plus what you perceive to be 50 yrds in the field may very well be much further than that in the heat of the moment. I still have some of that ammo that didn't work in my gun, and if you were on this side of the state, I would donate a couple out of ea. bx. If you have a buddy that is getting into the sport with you, split the cost and buy as many varieties as possible.

Good luck on the chase!
    Gary
    Thanks for the input
    I have been Turkey hunting for many years and have got my fair share of Turkey's. I always just used my Remington 870 wing master with a dedicated full* barrel no removable choke and only took up to a 3in shell. I bought this gun so I could extend my distance with a 3 1/2 shells and a good choke. I really appreciate the offer of some shells if I was closer dont find to many people willing to do that now a days. I do have a few boxes from pattering my 870 years ago but their only 3in when I plan on using 3 1/2 so probably won't help to much. I did do a little research and the combination I bought sounds like it works well for a lot of people so fingers crossed it dose for me as well. If it doesn't pattern good I'll be back to spending money to find the right combo tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast