Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shotgun chokes

I am a Forum User
    I've never understood the logic of abusing your shoulder with near-elephant gun recoil to kill a stupid 20 pound bird.

MGO Member
    For what it's worth, I killed a turkey last Saturday @ 35 yards with a basic full choke out of a Mosseberg 500 using Rem 3" Nitro #5s. The same shells patterned much tighter out of my brothers Moss 835 which has a dedicated Xtra full turkey choke. While I got my bird, I'd feel better with a tighter pattern.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

I’ve only been shooting turkey only for about 5-6 years now, but have had great success with a 20 ga Franchi O/U with extra full and full tubes, shooting 3.5” 1 5/8 oz of 6 shot. I limit myself to about 30 yd max and have taken a bird every year I’ve hunted.
    I too patterned a 1/2 dozen different loads when I started and found one gave better patterns at 30 yds then the others, I gave my brother who’s property I hunt the extra shells. There is a difference in patterns you don’t notice until you put them on paper.
    Having two barrels I also found a difference in what shell each of them preferred, but stuck with just the shell that shot best in the tighter tube.
    To be honest I don’t know that all my birds couldn’t have been taken with my old M1200 12 ga with straight mod barrel and think we tend to over think some of this.
    Birds will come fairly easily to a call and decoy if you keep still and Hidden, I use a old deer blind. Keep your shots within range and place them well, that’s the trick.

This years bird taken at ~25 yds
    Name:  21E3BC52-6E46-486B-BE3A-5359D67D7FDE.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  100.6 KB
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    I’ve only been shooting turkey only for about 5-6 years now, but have had great success with a 20 ga Franchi O/U with extra full and full tubes, shooting 3.5” 1 5/8 oz of 6 shot. I limit myself to about 30 yd max and have taken a bird every year I’ve hunted.
    I too patterned a 1/2 dozen different loads when I started and found one gave better patterns at 30 yds then the others, I gave my brother who’s property I hunt the extra shells. There is a difference in patterns you don’t notice until you put them on paper.
    Having two barrels I also found a difference in what shell each of them preferred, but stuck with just the shell that shot best in the tighter tube.
    To be honest I don’t know that all my birds couldn’t have been taken with my old M1200 12 ga with straight mod barrel and think we tend to over think some of this.
    Birds will come fairly easily to a call and decoy if you keep still and Hidden, I use a old deer blind. Keep your shots within range and place them well, that’s the trick.

This years bird taken at ~25 yds
    Name:  21E3BC52-6E46-486B-BE3A-5359D67D7FDE.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  100.6 KB
    thanks for sharing.. I want to start turkey hunting but i am clueless of where to start..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12