Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User

How to replace my gun

As my wife is not a guns fan, I don’t want to add anxiety by just buying more guns. I already have 2 and would like to keep that number constant. I want to buy a new gun that is optics ready instead of keep spending $$ to modify existing one, that’s why I want to replace one of the guns (sell it) and buy the new one.

My question here is as I never sold one before, what are my options? AFAIK I can either:

(1) go to a dealer, ask to buy back my existing gun, and sell me the new one.
    (2) sell my gun to an individual (e.g. through this forum) and buy the new one. I don’t know how to legally protect myself from any misconduct afterward…

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thank you…
    Last edited by mhammady; 05-08-2022 at 11:09 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mhammady View Post
    As my wife is not a guns fan, I don’t want to add anxiety by just buying more guns. I already have 2 and would like to keep that number constant. I want to buy a new gun that is optics ready instead of keep spending $$ to modify existing one, that’s why I want to replace one of the guns (sell it) and buy the new one.

My question here is as I never sold one before, what are my options? AFAIK I can either:

(1) go to a dealer, ask to buy back my existing gun and sell me the new one.
    (2) sell my gun to individual (e.g. through this forum) and buy the new one. I don’t know how to legally protect myself from any misconduct afterward…

Any advise would be much appreciated

Thank you…
    Long guns are cash and carry. No paperwork legally required. You can choose to create a bill of sale of the buyer agrees.

Pistols require the purchaser to either produce a license to purchase which is filled out and the buyer turns in the appropriate copy to local PD. Or, if they have a valid Michigan CPL a RI-60 is completed and they turn the appropriate copy into their local PD.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Long guns are cash and carry. No paperwork legally required. You can choose to create a bill of sale of the buyer agrees.

Pistols require the purchaser to either produce a license to purchase which is filled out and the buyer turns in the appropriate copy to local PD. Or, if they have a valid Michigan CPL a RI-60 is completed and they turn the appropriate copy into their local PD.
    Additionally, once sold as per the above you have zero liability moving forward.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Thank you, Jeff, what is the paperwork that I should keep? copy of ID, CPL, or both?

I am a Forum User
    keep your two guns and buy the third one you like...

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    keep your two guns and buy the third one you like...
    hahaha... I'm already in trouble for keeping 2 guns

I am a Forum User
    Thank you, Jeff, what is the paperwork that I should keep? copy of ID, CPL, or both?
    If selling a hand gun, you are not required to keep anything.
    You may chose to keep the copy of the RI 010 or RI 060 (which ever is used} marked seller copy.

Selling a shotgun or rifle, no paperwork is needed and you need to keep no record of any kind.

I am a Forum User
    hahaha... I'm already in trouble for keeping 2 guns
    If you’re gonna be in trouble you might as well make it worth it

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    If you’re gonna be in trouble you might as well make it worth it
    nooo... A man should never bring anxiety to his family...

MGO Member
    Wait until the wife is out of town....easy to get in the house ! Make sure you have a gun safe to keep them in for safety and don't let the wife have the combination....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast