Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    If I witnessed any fast draw from a holster and firing from the hip (outside of a sanctioned cowboy event) on my clubs ranges, they would be stopped. And things would escalate from there.

This is a safety concern, and would not be Allowed on our ranges.
    Kinda like rapid fire huh…it looks scary so we’ll ban it

Don’t we make fun of the anti gunners for the same reason????

I am a Forum User
    I think shooting "from the hip" is a little goofy, but I definitely practice point shooting whenever I take my carry gun to the range.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    If I witnessed any fast draw from a holster and firing from the hip (outside of a sanctioned cowboy event) on my clubs ranges, they would be stopped. And things would escalate from there.

It’s that way at a vast majority of ranges and clubs out there. With their liability, insurance requirements and legal advice all calling for it to not be allowed. They unfortunately can’t or won’t separate those members who are trained in the technique and execute it safely vs those who are not and would not do it’s just verboten for everyone. The bad apple(s) or the perception of them has ruined it for everyone.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Then you would have had a coronary if you saw me drawing while falling onto my back and shooting from the ground. Unsafe practice? Better to try it (preferable with gun unloaded a few times) before needing to use it after bad guy knocks me on my ass. (disclosure... I was a bit younger then.)

Although doing those things with an airsoft in your home allows falling onto furniture or carpeting instead of the hard ground. Never know if I might need to draw after I get knocked backwards onto the couch.

But I understand the liability concern that ranges have.
    I'm glad I'm old and won't have to live very long under the tyranny that has begun.

Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    What's the safety concern? If the gun isn't pointed over the berm and the shooter is accurate, there should be no issue.

To the OP, yes I practice and obviously not at Roundballer's club.
    If... If... IF That is a lot of qualifying for two conditions that you have no way of placing as a condition before practice.

Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    It’s that way at a vast majority of ranges and clubs out there. With their liability, insurance requirements and legal advice all calling for it to not be allowed. They unfortunately can’t or won’t separate those members who are trained in the technique and execute it safely vs those who are not and would not do it’s just verboten for everyone. The bad apple(s) or the perception of them has ruined it for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Then you would have had a coronary if you saw me drawing while falling onto my back and shooting from the ground. Unsafe practice? Better to try it (preferable with gun unloaded a few times) before needing to use it after bad guy knocks me on my ass. (disclosure... I was a bit younger then.)

Although doing those things with an airsoft in your home allows falling onto furniture or carpeting instead of the hard ground. Never know if I might need to draw after I get knocked backwards onto the couch.

But I understand the liability concern that ranges have.
    If any of you could count the divots in the concrete or the holes in target stand frames, awning support columns or overhead in the awning itself
    We are just blessed that there have been no holes in people yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    Kinda like rapid fire huh…it looks scary so we’ll ban it

Don’t we make fun of the anti gunners for the same reason????
    NO not even similar. We have all kinds of "rapid fire" events at the club. Pins and hand gun steel are two of them. The starting position is generally a "Low Ready" Cowboys have a start from a surrender position, but are also limited to hammer down and a single action revolver.

Condoning non-sighted "blind" discharge of a firearm in practice is just irresponsible, and in violation of published NRA range rules.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    If... If... IF That is a lot of qualifying for two conditions that you have no way of placing as a condition before practice.

If any of you could count the divots in the concrete or the holes in target stand frames, awning support columns or overhead in the awning itself
    We are just blessed that there have been no holes in people yet.

NO not even similar. We have all kinds of "rapid fire" events at the club. Pins and hand gun steel are two of them. The starting position is generally a "Low Ready" Cowboys have a start from a surrender position, but are also limited to hammer down and a single action revolver.

Condoning non-sighted "blind" discharge of a firearm in practice is just irresponsible, and in violation of published NRA range rules.
    I bet if Trump stated his approval you'd be on board.

I bet if Trump stated his approval you'd be on board.
    Trump's approval of what? Just accept that people are fallible and that nothing is a sure thing. Just learn to accept the probability of the lowest common denominator, and plan for it

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Trump's approval of what? Just accept that people are fallible and that nothing is a sure thing. Just learn to accept the probability of the lowest common denominator, and plan for it
    Shooting from the hip. With that logic no one should own guns. Have a good night Elmer.

Shooting from the hip. With that logic no one should own guns. Have a good night Elmer.
    So, you can't have a discussion without stooping to hyperbole and name calling

So, you can't have a discussion without stooping to hyperbole and name calling
    Amen to that take on discourse.

As the OP I get what you are talking about. I don't agree, but I get it. The range I shoot at, we have separate bunkers. IE we have 18 bunkers with high divider berms between them. Then of course the backstop berm. Each is treated at it's own range. We are not talking fanning hammers here, just draw/point/shoot. This is not rapid fire (in fact we are limited to one round per second rate). The weapon level is anywhere twixt the waist & shoulder from inside 15'.

I also really like the idea mentioned of point/shoot as you back away to bring your weapon into the site plane, that would be a good thing to practice. I was just curious to hear other takes. There are lots of situations, I fervently hope never to experience in reality, where shooting from odd positions and angles should be practiced. I have even brought out a chase lounge and practiced shooting from sitting and laid back, even flat and prone. Muzzle discipline is kept in sharp focus as it always should be when you do this. In fact I feel everyone should practice this just help keep muzzle discipline in difficult positions, very easy to sweep someone behind or beside you drawing from a prone or seated position.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast