Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganShootist View Post
    Lots of good information has been shared here. (and some that is not well thought out) As a CPL holder since 1966 and a long time instructor... I could write several books on this topic... but I'll just focus on one aspect.

You must be able to manipulate and shoot the gun well... or it's the wrong gun. PERIOD !! The physical size and condition of the shooter and their experience level MUST be considered above all else in this choice.

An 870 in the hands of most ladies, small statured men, or the elderly (like me) ....is a VERY bad idea. For decades I had people show up at CPL classes with guns that were not fit to them or were FAR too powerful for them to shoot well. Snub-nosed 357s (and air weight 38s), Glock model 30s, short barreled .45s and 40s.... etc. require years of practice to shoot well.

The shooter must also be able to operate the gun while potentially dealing with a flashlight... or without their glasses---in the dark.

One of my elderly lady students had it figured out pretty well. Her choice was a large capacity semi-auto 22LR pistol with a laser on the barrel. When watching TV in the evenings... she kept the pistol in the sewing basket right beside her chair.

I wouldn't want to be the person who targeted her for a home invasion. She could put 6 rounds in a 3" circle in seconds.

Mark
    A lot of scenarios people talk about it from the perspective they always have it ready, or maybe leaning against a wall etc.

I think the OP scenario has to dip its toes into safes, hiding places behind a frame, fake vent etc.

Having a sweet ar15 pistol with brace and red dot, tons of range time, you are dead nutz on with it. Except its locked in the basement. You have it in a case under your bed with a locked case, and a trigger lock.

Thats not fast enough in my mind.

If you linger on a floor, you need something you can have in your hands in about 3-5 seconds. As fast as you can run across your three bedroom ranch, and open a fake vent and grab a back up glock 17 you have up there, thats the goal.

I am a Forum User
    Pistol- convenient. Easy to holster or get out of the way if the situation turns out to be non threatening. Easy to move through a house...if you are inclined to go looking for trouble in the dark. Most service calibers will penetrate walls more than a 5.56mm.

Shotgun- intimidating. Lots of ammunition choices. I would trust home defense all the way down to # 2 express loads with # 4 buckshot the ideal middle ground. Buckshot and slugs tear through multiple walls. Low magazine capacity, but most home invasions don't need more than 6 shots. That's your gamble to make.

Semi auto rifle- high ammo capacity. 5.56mm deflects and keyholes quickly through drywall. Easy to point and shoot. Easy to mount a light. My hd strategy is to bunker in and call 911. I have trained to clear buildings, but I'm not planning to use that skill in my home. I have a choke point and a backstop where I will wait.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12