Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

In Memoriam Forum User

Question Trying to choose a new optic for my S&W AR15 .556 pistol

I picked up a new S&W AR15 .556 pistol. I've been trying to decide on a new optic, IE: red dot, or etched illuminated reticle. It's going be a close quarters defense weapon, possibly daylight or dark environment. I'll probably also add a light/laser.

I'm narrowing it down to a Vortex Spitfire AR Prism 1X Scope:
    https://vortexoptics.com/red-dots/sp...ism-scope.html

I like that is uses a standard 'AAA' battery. I also like that it has an etched reticle that can be used without power in daylight if the battery dies. I also like that the etched reticle is preferred over a red dot if you have astigmatism.

Any other pro's or con's? Any other better suggestions in your opinion?

Thanks!

Bill

Last edited by VIGILANT; 05-20-2022 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VIGILANT View Post
    I picked up a new S&W AR15 .556 pistol. I've been trying to decide on a new optic, IE: red dot, or etched illuminated reticle. It's going be a close quarters defense weapon, possibly daylight or dark environment. I'll probably also add a light/laser.

I'm narrowing it down to a Vortex Spitfire AR Prism 1X Scope:
    https://vortexoptics.com/red-dots/sp...ism-scope.html

I like that is uses a standard 'AAA' battery. I also like that it has an etched reticle that can be used without power in daylight if the battery dies. I also like that the etched reticle is preferred over a red dot if you have astigmatism.

Any other pro's or con's? Any other better suggestions in your opinion?

Thanks!

Bill

I have astigmatism its the technology of the prism that helps, I tested a bunch at high power at Cabela's at Christmas time they looked amazing, I currently have a primary arms slx on my marlin 22, vortex strike fire ii on my saiga ak, both have to be low power, the higher the power, the more dots staggered I see, if i crank it, i see 3 dots spread like playing cards one after the next, star burst dots. The prism are great. All my future red dots will be prism, I probably will try to trade the strike fire if i can find a prism that fits the nice mount I have and keep co witness.

Co witness would be the other goal If i was you.

If you have prism, etched, co witness, I do not see how you could not be really pleased, that would be perfect, for me anyways.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    I have astigmatism its the technology of the prism that helps, I tested a bunch at high power at Cabela's at Christmas time they looked amazing, I currently have a primary arms slx on my marlin 22, vortex strike fire ii on my saiga ak, both have to be low power, the higher the power, the more dots staggered I see, if i crank it, i see 3 dots spread like playing cards one after the next, star burst dots. The prism are great. All my future red dots will be prism, I probably will try to trade the strike fire if i can find a prism that fits the nice mount I have and keep co witness.

Co witness would be the other goal If i was you.

If you have prism, etched, co witness, I do not see how you could not be really pleased, that would be perfect, for me anyways.
    Thank you for your input!

NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

I am a Forum User
    I own a crap-ton of Aimpoints, but for the money, I think the Holosuns are really hard to beat.
    For the AR types, I like this model:
    https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/138.html

Shake awake and auto off operation as well as good old manual.
    Has an auto brightness adjustment setting which actually works better than expected but that is easily turned off by simply manually touching a brightness button + or -.
    The small solar panel on top operates the dot in most conditions (even indoors with marginal lighting), so battery life is outstanding (50,000hrs).
    Sturdy Lower 1/3 cowitness mount included (same sight can be removed from the supplied mount and mounted low/alone on your own rail).
    10 daylight and 2 NV compatible brightness settings.
    Theyre available in red and green dot varieties with 2 reticle options included; 1 lone 2MOA dot or 2 MOA dot w/65MOA outer circle.
    MSRP is @$340. They usually can be found online for $250 or less delivered.

I've owned a basic red dot version of this sight and mounted it on my AR truck gun. It's been working perfectly for quite a few years now and I've never changed the battery.

This scope looks solid. I’m going to look more into it

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 BMG View Post
    I own a crap-ton of Aimpoints, but for the money, I think the Holosuns are really hard to beat.
    For the AR types, I like this model:
    https://holosun.com/index/product/detail/id/138.html

Shake awake and auto off operation as well as good old manual.
    Has an auto brightness adjustment setting which actually works better than expected but that is easily turned off by simply manually touching a brightness button + or -.
    The small solar panel on top operates the dot in most conditions (even indoors with marginal lighting), so battery life is outstanding (50,000hrs).
    Sturdy Lower 1/3 cowitness mount included (same sight can be removed from the supplied mount and mounted low/alone on your own rail).
    10 daylight and 2 NV compatible brightness settings.
    Theyre available in red and green dot varieties with 2 reticle options included; 1 lone 2MOA dot or 2 MOA dot w/65MOA outer circle.
    MSRP is @$340. They usually can be found online for $250 or less delivered.

I've owned a basic red dot version of this sight and mounted it on my AR truck gun. It's been working perfectly for quite a few years now and I've never changed the battery.
    It doesn't appear to have an "etched" reticle which is a big disadvantage. An etched reticle will work just fine with a dead battery or no battery at all.