Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

Gun burned in fire

The fire in New Mexico got my inheritance. There was 2 rifles, a shotgun and a 45 revolver that was in a gun safe but still managed to burn.
    It looks like the stocks are completely gone from what I see on the photos. One was a nice lever action 30-30, so my thoughts are they still might be salvagable.
    Of course, there was no water getting on these at the time so I don't think the metal would have lost it's temper.
    Has anyone gone thru this before that can give me some words of advice?

Russ

The general rule is if the springs are still good you're likely ok, but if the springs are dead the temperature was likely hot enough to soften hardened parts to the point where they're probably not safe.

^^^^ Good advice above, and sorry for your loss.
    Active airport shooter

MGO Member
    Thanks to both of you.

I'd buy used wood, clean em up, oil em, make em wall hangers. I wouldn't shoot them.

MGO Member
    If it were me I'd take them to an experienced smith and ask him his opinion before giving up. IF they were family heir looms. Otherwise I think they won't be worth the time and trouble and even if you end up trusting them, then ask the guy next to you at the range or in the blind if he trusts you to shoot them next to him...you get the idea.

I am a Forum User
    5 part series on a fire damaged AR......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xddz_EUIVoo
    Last edited by december1979; 06-28-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Specific heat range followed by water or oil quenching is what gives steel its hardness properties. Steel that is exposed to heat and allowed to cool slowly via air lose their heat treatment properties and become soft. The springs are a good indicator but not the last word. The steel should be tested by proper testing and compared to factory specs.
    Lighten up Francis.

MGO Member
    Eastpointe (formerly known as East Detroit)
    Repair them and test fire them using a tire or gun rest remotely using a long piece of rope...put enough rounds through them as to you would be comfortable shooting them from the shoulder...and yeah, sorry for your loss.

My Brother's gun collection was damaged in a house fire. I was able to salvage most of them. Some cheaper models must have had some plastic internals, & they were NOP. Had to strip some of the finishes & used cold blue to repair others. Shotgun & a deer rifle had to have the stocks refinished. All of them shot just fine.

He also had a ton of ammo that got wet & sat for about a week before we could get it out. I tried shooting a few rounds & had a lot of bad primers & weak powder. As far as I know, it's still in his basement at the new house. May see about getting it for the components.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING