Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.22 short, .22 medium or .22 lr

Can a .22 short be shot out of a .22lr rifle safely? If not who has one for sale or trade?
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I have a Marlin rifle Model 81 bolt action, it shoots S, L and LR, I have some older Winchesters and a couple Colt rifles and I think they also shoot the same.

FYI I stole this picture but it's the same model I have, mine are buried in a safe.

" It's not about the size of the circle, it's the loyalty in it. "

" A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass

" When one with honeyed words but evil mind Persuades the mob, great woes befall the state." - Euripides, Orestes

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we lose our freedoms it will be because we have destroyed ourselves from within." - Unknown

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    My Henry lever action feeds and shoots 22 shorts and 22LR equally well. Their manual states it is perfectly OK to shoot shorts, longs, or long rifle in it.
    I aim to misbehave ~Malcolm Reynolds
    Favorite Shooting Podcast

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    Can a .22 short be shot out of a .22lr rifle safely? If not who has one for sale or trade?
    Yes but a short or long do not have enough uumph to cycle a semi auto action.
    Have to manually cycle them.
    Single shot, lever action, bolt or pump will function fine.

They are like shooting 38spcl from a 357 mag firearm, safe but may not function reliably. Be sure to clean the chamber after shooting them in a LR chamber though as they will build a carbon ring in from of the case mouth that can hinder chambering of the longer round if heavy enough
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    They shoot fine out of my bolt guns, I wouldn't think they would cycle a semi auto. I've never heard of a medium, so my response is in regards to short and long.

MGO Member
    The "medium" size in .22 rimfire is called "Long," to avoid confusion

Just for general reference:

American .22 rimfire cartridges include the (1) BB Cap, (2) CB Cap, (3) Short, (4) Long, (5) Long Rifle and (6) Extra Long.

There are several other configurations, But they all fit in one of the above sizes.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Yes but a short or long do not have enough uumph to cycle a semi auto action.
    Have to manually cycle them.
    Single shot, lever action, bolt or pump will function fine.
    I have a Wester Field 850 (Mossberg 353) semi auto that shoots shorts ok. I have 2 of the proper mags to handle shorts in it.
    I haven't shot many shorts in it but what I have shot were just fine.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    I have a Wester Field 850 (Mossberg 353) semi auto that shoots shorts ok. I have 2 of the proper mags to handle shorts in it.
    I haven't shot many shorts in it but what I have shot were just fine.
    That would be the exception to the rule you always hear about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast