Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt`G View Post
    I have a Verifi S6000 and have had it for about 2 years. I've never had good luck with fingerprint readers (iPhone/iPad, laptops, commercial security entrances, kid's school, etc) due to dry skin, cuts, etc. I swore off any kind of fingerprint reader for a safe. Then I took a chance on this one based on some research... and it has been fantastic. You push a button, then place a finger on the reader, and the door unlocks in under a second. Plus, it has a good interface for programming fingerprints, audit logs, alerts, battery readings, and a built-in LED that shines inside the safe when the door opens.

https://verifisafe.com/products/biom...rt-safe-s6000/

I have several fingers saved in there, but it just simply works every time. It's a big fingerprint reader so it's easy to get your finger on the right spot quickly. I am in and out of it typically 2x / day (morning/night), and it gives you battery life percentage every time you close it. I change the batteries once per year and they are typically still 85% or so at that point.
    Doe it have an alternate method of access (ie: hidden key lock) in the event that the electronics fails or the battery is dead?

I am a Forum User
    Not certain what to make of this. Defective design or poor quality control?

https://abc13.com/gun-safe-guns-safety/13284893/

Dad wants safe recalled after 6-year-old son unlocks it, takes gun to school
    By Sarah Fili, May 23, 2023

SHENANDOAH, Iowa -- An Iowa family wants a safe taken off the market after their 6-year-old opened it and took a gun to school, KETV reported.

As gun owners with a little boy in the house, the Shenandoah, Iowa family bought a safe to make sure their gun was secure. Only a registered fingerprint can unlock it. At least that's what the family thought.

"We put those safeguards in place. We did our best. We thought we were doing what we needed to do to protect our family and community. And unfortunately, it just didn't happen in this scenario," said the 6-year-old's father.

In early March, the man's 6-year-old son was on the school playground at recess when teachers found a gun in his backpack.

"They confiscated a gun from a student and they needed officers out to the school," said Shenandoah Police Chief Josh Gray.

Gray said he contacted the boy's parents, who insisted the gun had been in a locked safe.

"He just saw the safe and then he put his thumbprint on it and it opened right up for the kid," Gray said, confirming that the safe, sold by a Chinese company named "BBRKIN," unlocked for the 6-year-old.

Police went to the home to check the safe.

"The father was more than willing to work with us, show us anything we wanted to examine," Gray said, adding that an officer examined the safe. "He went to go put his thumbprint on the safe, and right away, as soon as my officer did that, the safe opened right up for him, which it's supposed to be just for that owner and his thumbprint."

In fact, the family quickly discovered any fingerprint, or even toe print, unlocked the BBRKIN gun safe.

KETV NewsWatch 7 Investigates agreed to disguise the father's identity to protect his 6-year-old son.

"We still hold a lot of like guilt for it. And we feel personally responsible but we've taken every action that we possibly can in my own power," the father said.

He said he bought the BBRKIN biometric safe box on amazon.com in November for $229.

The company notes that in default mode, any fingerprint can open the safe.

But the father told KETV he set it up according to the manual, including the fingerprint reader that unlocks it, and it remained locked when his wife tried to open it.

Reviews posted on Amazon.com echoed the Shenandoah man's concerns. One user said the safe opened with "all 10 of my fingers and toes."

"They know it's an issue. I mean, based on the reviews you can go on for, it's a known issue, and they've already resolved some of those by sending you a new safe," the father said.

KETV NewsWatch 7's Sarah Fili has been working to contact BBRKIN about the Shenandoah man's ordeal.

The company has not replied to any of the requests for comment.

Amazon said it had no comment for this story.

But the man provided us with copies of emails he said he exchanged with the Chinese company.

In one email dated March 13, BBRKIN said "Two months ago we updated the chip program that the safe can only open it until users have registered fingerprints successfully. Users cannot open it when it is in default mode/received the safe."

That update was a month after the man bought the safe.

"Why wasn't there a recall when you decided to put new chips in? Why didn't you recall that? Like, why wasn't anybody that purchased that safe prior notified that, hey, this is a potential risk?" the father questioned.

KETV wanted to see if BBRKIN's upgrade changed anything.

So, KETV NewsWatch 7 Investigates bought the same safe in late March.

We set it up according to the directions, including the fingerprint reader, to read only reporter Sarah Fili's fingerprint. After programming our photographer tried the fingerprint reader, with no success. Over the course of a day, almost a dozen different KETV employees tried their fingerprints.

Not one unlocked the safe, except Fili's.

Days, even a week later, it still only opened for the one registered fingerprint. Fili let the Shenandoah father know the upgraded safe seems to work. He's thankful, but asked about all the other safes with old chips that could still fail.

"Get this product removed. So this can't happen to somebody else. Because in talking with an attorney, they can't do anything about it unless somebody was injured," the father said.

In the case of the gun on the Shenandoah school playground, no one was hurt.

The Page County Attorney declined to press any charges

But, under Shenandoah school district policy, the 6-year-old was expelled from kindergarten, leaving his father still asking questions about the maker of that gun safe.

"This is about accountability. Everybody doesn't have a problem holding us accountable for it. I think they should be held accountable as well," the father said.

KETV NewsWatch 7 asked the Consumer Product Safety Commission if it was aware of issues with the safe.

The agency said it can't comment on anything it "may or may not" be investigating, but the father said he has submitted a complaint there and provided the information.

Again, KETV has reached out repeatedly to BBRKIN, but they have not replied to our questions about the safe or the upgrade.

Three weeks after getting our safe, it still unlocks only for Fili.

If you have a gun safe, take the time to know who can actually unlock it.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Imshootin View Post
    In my experience, if you've got working hands that might get a nick or a cut or if you have prune finger tips because you're dehydrated or just got out of the pool/bathtub then a biometric safe is probably not your best choice. I bought a bedside safe with a simplex lock 4 or so years ago and I would never consider a biometric safe still.
    I've got a fairly current 5G phone that one would think has a pretty recent biometric reading system but it still fails me on occasion due to the condition of my fingertips.
    The simplex lock on my safe never fails me. Push the right buttons and you're good to go.
    Some allow you to record more than one fingerprint just in case that happens. I had an Atrix4G phone a long time ago and before I stopped using biometrics on it I was able to register multiple fingers on each hand if I wanted. Also some allow you to register multiple users, which is also great if you have a spouse or responsible kid that may also need access. Having a mechanical bypass is nice too, and also necessary for when the battery fails.

I think this is better than the button ones since it's not hard to figure out a sequence of 4x4. PINs usually use a sequence of 10x4 (a sequence of 4 numbers from 10 digits from 0-9) so it's a lot harder to guess that correctly. I'd hope that after enough incorrect attempts or just rapid presses it would lock itself for a period of time, but then if you need the gun yourself you can't access it either. If the safe has a full number layout then I'd feel a lot better about it. Speaking of PINs, this is good reading too http://wordpress.mrreid.org/2012/09/...e-a-good-idea/

Quote Originally Posted by 10x25mm View Post
    Not certain what to make of this. Defective design or poor quality control?
    Little of column A, little of column B maybe?

All safe manufacturers need to take their products and do two things with them. The first is to send them to https://www.youtube.com/@lockpickinglawyer/videos to get reviewed, then take any suggestions on how to improve the product seriously. The second is to send them to a room full of kids to "play" with and tell them that if they can open it they will win a prize. Kids are smart and will find a way in, and when I was a kid I somehow managed to get into quit a bit I probably shouldn't have.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123