Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

bio-metric safes opinion

1. I know gun safes activated by finger print have been around for awhile. my son had one awhile ago he said it was junk.

Any have experience with finger print activated?

2. Recently I have been getting ads for "finger vein" activated gun safe.

Anyone have experience with these? "MAXSafes pro pistol safe.

I have a medium sized floor stand safe in basement. I am looking for some thing for bedroom or easy to get to for defense. I have a bunch of grand kids who visit frequently and get into everything so I dont leave anything dangerous out.

txs opr1945

I am a Forum User
    I have not had any luck with electronic locks on gun safes. Electronic things fail and batteries die. I have had 2 Gunvault brand pistol safes and both failed me on more than one occasion. I use my carry gun as my bedside gun so there is never a gun in the bedroom unless I'm in there.

Maybe this could work for you............

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Casual-Ho...ture/223269685
    Last edited by december1979; 06-28-2022 at 07:50 AM.

I am a Forum User
    I have a Vaultek safe with a biometric lock and overall I’m happy with it. I’ve had it for a few years and never been locked out. I have found that If your fingerprint is too dry or cracked that it won’t read. But I programmed both thumbs and a finger , so I’ve Always been able to get in. It can save 25 fingerprints and has a keypad lock as well as a plug for AC power and a battery backup. It’s also Wi-Fi so it contacts my iPhone when it opens, or if someone tried to open it. Overall I’d definitely recommend it

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrindle View Post
    I have a Vaultek safe with a biometric lock and overall I’m happy with it. I’ve had it for a few years and never been locked out. I have found that If your fingerprint is too dry or cracked that it won’t read. But I programmed both thumbs and a finger , so I’ve Always been able to get in. It can save 25 fingerprints and has a keypad lock as well as a plug for AC power and a battery backup. It’s also Wi-Fi so it contacts my iPhone when it opens, or if someone tried to open it. Overall I’d definitely recommend it
    My concern is if I cut my finger or my hands were dirty the scanner wouldn't work.

I am a Forum User
    That’s why I programmed 3 fingerprints. The Vaultek safe has room for 25 different fingerprints, and it has a keypad so you can enter a pin if all your fingers are too cut up to read

I just got one that has key backup and fob as well as pin…seems better than fingerprints but I have not evidence one is better than the other

Just my opinion here, since an opinion was asked for. I am thinking that more information might help pull the tall grass back from the ultimate intended use. Long term storage for multiple firearms? A bedside nightstand box better off used for hurling down a hallway?

The majority of "e-safes" are set at a price point to make them more appealing to the buyer. However, cavere emptor - and might as well throw out the usual, you get what you pay for warning as well.
    My personal experience with these things has left me scratching my head as to why someone would turn to one of these over a traditional entry method - I guess that's what we'll call a tumbler for now. I won't use anything that can be easily moved, susceptible to being opened with $25 of radio shack equipment, prone to failure, etc. With that said I have seen a handful of full size safes with S&G locks that made me think twice, if only for a second.

My final opinion is that a cheap-er (just in money not quality) gun safe will do nothing to protect you or your family if proper firearms safety, home defense plans, and some type of training for every member in the household is not addressed first and foremost. And I AM NOT saying anyone is an irresponsible gun owner here. That little box loaded with technology only makes you feel better if the root cause or need for having one isn't addressed first.

Only you can decide what is right for you and your family.

~Masterchief

I am a Forum User
    " I am thinking that more information might help pull the tall grass back from the ultimate intended use." I want a way to protect one gun for self defendse from my overly curious grand kids from getting to it, while making it easy for me to get to it.

"My personal experience with these things has left me scratching my head as to why someone would turn to one of these over a traditional entry method - I guess that's what we'll call a tumbler...." I have one of these but I fear in an emergency with adrenalin flowing my fine motor skills will deteruration will make turning the tumbler not very effective.

I am a Forum User
    " I am thinking that more information might help pull the tall grass back from the ultimate intended use." I want a way to protect one gun for self defendse from my overly curious grand kids from getting to it, while making it easy for me to get to it.

"My personal experience with these things has left me scratching my head as to why someone would turn to one of these over a traditional entry method - I guess that's what we'll call a tumbler...." I have one of these but I fear in an emergency with adrenalin flowing my fine motor skills will deterurate will make turning the tumbler not very effective.

I am a Forum User
    I have two.

One for a long gun. https://www.amazon.com/Barska-Quick-.../dp/B005FDIUPE Have had for years and never had an issue. This one, you need to push a button and then put your finger on the scanner. But man, did they get more expensive. Ouch.

One for a handgun. https://www.amazon.com/LANGGER-Biome...ps%2C92&sr=8-4 This thing is pretty sweet. It's got a keypad for a combo or scans your fingerprint, and power slides open really nicely. On this one, you just put your fingerprint on the scanner and she slides open, no other button pushing necessary. This safe tucks right into a bookcase or even a kitchen shelf and doesn't draw attention. It has space for an extra mag inside.

I try to change the batteries when I change the smoke detector batteries. Have never been locked out of either. I believe both of them arrived with some button / opening beeping that I turned off. I don't expect them to keep out a robber, but they do exactly the trick you're looking for with keeping little hands away from them, while having ready firearms throughout the house. Program up to 5 or so fingerprints of each finger, using fingers on both hands so that if one finger is hurt, you can use another. Just load it up with as many fingerprints as you can, from different angles and coverage, if that makes sense. I think that the Langger safe has you scan each finger a bunch so that it captures the entire fingerprint, and then you can do it all over again with a different finger.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mtnbikinbryno; 07-28-2022 at 02:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast