Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Detroit Weapons Scanners

I saw a news story today that Detroit has spent millions of dollars on Weapons Scanners that will detect concealed guns and knives.

It indicated that they have been used at recent events with success and that they will be used for the 4TH of July fireworks.

Anyone know more about this? Will they have to post an area off limits? Kinda seems like a violation of CPL rights.

Mark

If the viewing area is in Lake St. Claire Metropark - public property and not a statutory GFZ - I don't see how they could legally restrict carry without running afoul of preemption.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/det...ors-for-events

was mentioned in another thread.

The detectors have been used at three events so far – the Grand Prix, Movement, and Motor City Pride. Hayes said they have stopped people from bringing weapons into the events.

Hayes said if someone is legally carrying a weapon when they try to enter an event, such as the Ford Fireworks, later this month, they will be recommended to secure it.

"If we do find that someone is unlawfully carrying we will constitutionally take the next steps," he said. "If we can get one weapon out of the wrong hands, it’s a win."
    If I legally carry while entering the fireworks area, it will be secure in my holster. Not sure why they state try.

MGO Member
    It seems the DPD did not allow some concealed carriers at the fireworks.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...es/7742687001/

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzi01 View Post
    It seems the DPD did not allow some concealed carriers at the fireworks.

Nice paywall you have there

I am a Forum User
    You got to pay to play

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scandiacus View Post
    If the viewing area is in Lake St. Claire Metropark - public property and not a statutory GFZ - I don't see how they could legally restrict carry without running afoul of preemption.
    I was stopped for open carry of a long gun on the Pointe, then the park dumped some riot rock on the duck blind

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Nice paywall you have there
    Is there? It was open to me and I don't have a subscription.

MGO Board of Directors

Open for me, too:

The gun-free zone set up at Hart Plaza drew some police attention. Several people with concealed-carry permits were turned away, White said. There were also a couple of people open carrying, including at least one man with an AR-15 who was barred from Hart Plaza and had to watch the show from across the street.
    In an effort to curb gun violence at major summer events, including the fireworks, the city spent $1.4 million in bond money to buy 10 mobile weapon detectors. The department is using the next generation of metal detectors from Massachusetts-based Evolv Technology.
    The technology processes many times more people than traditional detectors, potentially freeing up officers to provide security away from the machines. The goal is to discourage people from bringing guns to crowded events in the city, and the detectors will be strategically placed where high crowd activity is occurring on a given weekend or at any event being held with a city permit, according to police officials.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

"Several people with concealed-carry permits were turned away, White said. There were also a couple of people open carrying, including at least one man with an AR-15 who was barred from Hart Plaza and had to watch the show from across the street. "
    Sounds like a lawsuit for violation of preemption needs to happen.

The goal is to discourage people from bringing guns to crowded events in the city
    The SCOTUS's majority opinion in Bruen last week rejected the notion of declaring a place "sensitive" and off-limits to carry simply on the basis of it being crowded and having police protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast