Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Hunt of a lifetime

As many of you remember, my oldest son has lymphoma, well after spending a winter fighting it, he is cancer free! Life was flipped upside down for months and we are finally getting back to normal. Hunt of a lifetime reached out, and he is getting to hunt black bear in New Hampshire in Sept!
    I know nothing about any of this sort of thing, what kind of Temps are we looking at? What time of day is the best time? I know he'll have a guide but being a dad I want to help him prepare as well.

I am a Forum User
    Congrats to your son and to you!

I've taken bear in Canada and in Michigan. Here are a few things you can do.
    1. Contact the New Hampshire DNR. The will have publications on regulations etc. Do the same for MI - laws aren't probably the same but it's still good info.
    2. Use weather.com to determine what you will see
    3. Contact the guide and see if they have a Hunter's Check List. Many do. (What are the acommodations - will he need a sleeping bag??? etc.)
    4. The most productive bear hunting is done in late afternoon through sundown
    5. Start looking into fire arms. 308 and 30:06 have been good choices for decades
    6. He'll need a good back pack, water proof boots, camo clothing,-(check the laws on this) water bottle, strong flashlight (just for starters)
    7. Use google to your advantage there are plenty of "how to" videos out there.

Good luck to you both.

Mark

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganShootist View Post
    I've taken bear in Canada and in Michigan. Here are a few things you can do.
    1. Contact the New Hampshire DNR. The will have publications on regulations etc. Do the same for MI - laws aren't probably the same but it's still good info.
    2. Use weather.com to determine what you will see
    3. Contact the guide and see if they have a Hunter's Check List. Many do. (What are the acommodations - will he need a sleeping bag??? etc.)
    4. The most productive bear hunting is done in late afternoon through sundown
    5. Start looking into fire arms. 308 and 30:06 have been good choices for decades
    6. He'll need a good back pack, water proof boots, camo clothing,-(check the laws on this) water bottle, strong flashlight (just for starters)
    7. Use google to your advantage there are plenty of "how to" videos out there.

Good luck to you both.

Mark
    I was planning on contacting nhdnr need to figure out licenses, great idea with contacting them for a check list, this is their first time hosting as well.
    He will be gifted a savage axis ii in .270 ,I presume that's good for bear? Black bear.
    He also gets a Dunham gift card for clothes and a tsa rifle case
    I'm thinking I should loan him my night vision scope that records shots as well

MGO Member

MGO Member
    Yes, I would agree to contact the NH DNR.

Also, I'm not sure but I think Hunt of a Lifetime would have ambassadors (or something similar) that would help you get everything or have a list.
    Patriot Wholesale Direct LLC - FFL Dealer
    40 Engelwood Dr Ste A Lake Orion, MI (M-F 10am-5pm) - PWDGuns.com - ( 248 ) 481-7083
    $20 FFL Transfer - Guns@PatriotWholesaleDirect.com - Contact us for a quote on a new gun!
    Glock Stocking Dealer & Glock Blue Label Dealer • $20 Transfer Fee

I am a Forum User
    Update

We are home, he was successful! Large male with a beautiful coat, we will have the meat within the week and the cape is being sent off to become a rug.

First night out, he sees the bear walk out of the distance thru the woods, took his time, waited over 3min after the bear got close to get that perfect shot. Bear dropped within a few yards. I couldn't be prouder of him, so calm, so patient. Perfect shot first shot

Account Closed Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by .38special View Post
    Update

We are home, he was successful! Large male with a beautiful coat, we will have the meat within the week and the cape is being sent off to become a rug.

First night out, he sees the bear walk out of the distance thru the woods, took his time, waited over 3min after the bear got close to get that perfect shot. Bear dropped within a few yards. I couldn't be prouder of him, so calm, so patient. Perfect shot first shot
    Congratulation too your son! God Bless and may the Lord keep you all safe and healthy!

Congrats!

When I was a little kid, knowing nothing of hunting, my mum and I were going to go black bear hunting but then my parents got divorced and something like that became financially impossible. I still hope one day I can fulfill that dream so I'll be rooting for you and your son!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast