Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Account Closed Forum User

450 Bushmaster Rifle vs Ar15?

I would like to pick up a straight wall cartridge in a 450 Bushmaster bolt action rifle or in the AR configuration.
    So I figured I would ask you folks the pros and cons.

Thank you and have a great 4th of July!
    Last edited by Outdoorman; 07-03-2022 at 07:25 PM.

MGO Member
    I have 4 Ruger American 22" .450 BCs and they all shoot amazing! Yes they do kick a bit but when shooting at game you will never notice it, My 2 cents

I am a Forum User
    My opinion would be..depends what you want to do with the rifle.
    Though I've owned an AR since the 80's..never shot it much. Why ?
    It had a fixed carry handle, so mounting a scope was limited to using a mount above the carry handle..not ideal.
    I did this, as for me, a scope is necessary for best accuracy.. but wasn't ideal as the scope ,mounted that high,
    made the rifle feel top -heavy..thought of cutting off the carry handle, but didn't.
    Years later, after reading many threads online about "building" an Ar, & the different types,
    I bought a PSA kit rifle, and a stripped lower. This AR was a flat top, with a rail.
    I mounted a scope, then tried using a brass catcher ( w/ mount attached to the rail ) worked great!.. then added a post mount & bipod.
    Suddenly I loved shooting my AR..Did a drop in trigger & I was satisfied.
    Not for long..more I shot my AR , the more I came to love the platform.
    probably needless to say...others followed.
    Some of my bolt rifles are a little more accurate, in shooting tighter groups, but not by a lot.
    With the huge variety of manufactures, parts, & options available, the possibilities are almost endless for the AR format.
    Heck, you could get an AR upper in 350 & 450 & share a lower...

you know what my choice would be..

Another vote for the AR15. Similar accuracy with a decent barrel, less kick to get you back on target quicker if needed and the ability as joepistol mentioned to change calibers/configurations by pushing out two pins and putting on a new upper. The hornady black ammo is very accurate in our 450's but the Barnes 275 solids don't seem to make as much bloodshot meat and for sure don't leave lead glitter like the hornadys do.

I am a Forum User
    I've owned at least one AR continuously since 1994 and have used them for plinking and across-the-course competition at a high level. That being said, I don't like them for deer hunting. I'll take a nice bolt action any day of the week...just because.

I went with the .450 for hunting the shotgun zone.
    I chose to go with an AR because I have a couple with excellent triggers, love the modular ability and “you can’t hunt with an AR”.
    It makes an great 200 yard carbine that is much easier on my shoulder that 12 gauge slugs.
    I actually enjoy shooting the Thumper, something I could never say about a slug gun.
    Accept Climate Change: ADAPT!!!

AR, but it is too much kick for me to be accurate. I flinch.

MGO Member
    One thing to note is though I love to build AR's, some .450's/.350 Legends do have Mag/feed issues. As with any purchase do your home work. One last note of interest last week I left my bolt Varmint gun home and used a AR to shoot chucks and the muzzle blast was terrible with out muffs, something to keep in mind.

I am a Forum User
    I traded for an unfired Bushmaster complete upper in .450 in anticipation of moving here less than a year ago. Soon after, I came across a deal and bought a Ruger M77 Scout that I REALLY wanted in the same caliber. I absolutely love it. I reload, and the generous box mag allows for much longer COAL than does the AR mag. I haven’t even tried the AR upper because I enjoy shooting, and loading for, the Scout so much. I will sell the upper if anyone is interested, since I also have an upper in .458 socom that is amazing.

MGO Member
    I built a 450 BM upper to use with my existing AR.Basically just a barrel and bolt as I had most of the other parts. At the time it was only a couple hundred bucks to build. It was cheaper than investing in a complete 450 rifle.

Then I built an upper in 350 Legend. I like the 350 a lot more. Much more comfortable to shoot and just slams deer. 450 works really well but seems like overkill on deer to me.
    Last edited by Garymac; 07-08-2022 at 07:21 AM.
    No man made law physically prevents one from doing anything they have a mind to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast