Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Account Closed Forum User

Is the Mossberg .450 Bushmaster Rifles any good?

Anyone own a Mossberg .450 Bushmaster rifle and how do you like it? Was checking out the Mossberg Patriot Predator .450 Bushmaster 16".

I realize this isn't a direct answer to your question, but I can at least give my experience with a Mossberg rifle. I own a Mossberg ATR 100 from mid 2000's, bolt action in 270win. I bought it lightly used, and it's been a great rifle. It is inexpensive enough I don't worry about taking it in the field, and it's held up great for nearly 15 years of deer seasons.

I am a Forum User
    I have a Mossberg rifle from about 1979, its a Westernfield marketed for Montgomery Wards model M766, in 7mag, couldnt be happier with it.

MGO Member
    I wonder how close a 1979 wards is to a new patriot?

Hank

I am a Forum User
    I have a wood stocked patriot in 450 bushmaster. Its a nice looking rifle with a good trigger. Has a couple nice touches compared to other budget rifles, such as the fluted bolt. Its as accurate as my Ruger ranch 450B, which is to say, it will definintely shoot better than I can.

MGO Member
    My 450 Bushmaster Mossberg Patriot with the plastic stock is super accurate. 3 shots under 1 inch at 100 yards. I use hand loads for it with 225 gr, 260 grain and 300 grain bullets with Lil' gun powder and they shoot awesome. I will be buying another one in 350 Legend just to try that one out too.

Great budget guns with plenty of ammo around everywhere.
    Bought one 2 years ago for my aging father with bad shoulders a few months before deer season. It's light to leg through the northern woods, and not supposed to really be a beast as far as recoil, he shot it a few times and it's been in the safe since. He went back to his Mossberg 12ga slug gun for hunting.
    I don't care for it, but it doesn't seem like a bad rifle to me for the money. In 16", there are just too many other options for me to grab from the basement when it's the time or place for a shorty brush gun - which will not be a bolt action.
    The Model you mentioned is basically a smaller lighter version of the plastic Ruger Americans - just chambered differently. Hold one of those and you'll feel the difference. I just couldn't get used to the short throw actions - short vs long only has to do with cartridge size and isn't a dig at quality or accuracy. Both models are (or at least were) about the same price, and can only be described as utilitarian at best. The fluted bolt is just window dressing - but those sure are purty curtains!

Not sure what else you are shopping it against but you can get a savage 110 450 for just under $500.

350 legend even cheaper, abd much cheaper to shoot.