Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In Memoriam Forum User

Question Aming Devices for AR15 Pistols? What did you chose and why?

I recently purchase a M&P AR15 pistol and I'm overwhelmed with the choices for aiming devices. It has a 7.5" barrel, and a true ATF approved brace (at this time) that is not really comfortable to shoulder. I'm 6.3" and when I try to use various sighting/aiming options they all seem too low for me. I hesitate to increase the riser height as it will increase parallax. The intended use is close quarters, maybe out to 50 feet, in daylight as well as very dim light. My eyesight is not the greatest these days so I'm thinking rather than using a sight that I need to look through, I'm thinking that a laser or laser/flashlight combinations for point and shoot. Some of these devices allow you to focus the light from flood to a medium dot, almost as good as a regular laser for close range.

What are you guys using or recommend?

Thanks!

MGO Member
    There’s a reason it’s not comfortable to shoulder. It’s a pistol. A red dot with a riser works fine in my opinion. No offense meant by the shouldering statement.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ronson2 View Post
    There’s a reason it’s not comfortable to shoulder. It’s a pistol. A red dot with a riser works fine in my opinion. No offense meant by the shouldering statement.
    I agree and I understand your comment, no offense taken. I chose the pistol configuration over an SBR so I didn't have to deal with the paperwork and tax stamp, engraving, ETC. The way our Government/ATF is heading I might have to convert it anyway.

I am a Forum User
    I like my aimpoints so that’s what I have on my pistol but I also use a streamlight laser/ light combo. One button gives you both. I don’t understand why optics seem too low for you. Are you shooting nose to charging handle?

I am a Forum User
    What is your current optic setup? I have used a unity riser for an eotech and like it a lot. I would not get a laser for the pistol. Light yes laser no.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by AMX View Post
    I don’t understand why optics seem too low for you. Are you shooting nose to charging handle?
    Pretty much trying to hold it and shoot it like a carbine. I have the same issue with AR carbines/rifles. I have to hold the stock way up on my shoulder almost sitting on it rather than in it.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Evansky2 View Post
    What is your current optic setup? I have used a unity riser for an eotech and like it a lot. I would not get a laser for the pistol. Light yes laser no.
    Right now I'm back to just Midwest Machine iron sights. I've tried a Vortex Spitfire AR and a Aimpoint Pro.

I am a Forum User
    I have a A2 receiver on mine, the KISS principle

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by VIGILANT View Post
    Right now I'm back to just Midwest Machine iron sights. I've tried a Vortex Spitfire AR and a Aimpoint Pro.
    If you're still wanting to try red dot sights you can try these following options. They go from shortest to tallest.

1/3 co-witness: this raises the red dot up so that you can only see the iron sights in the bottom 1/3 of the optic tube.

1.93 mount: this raises the optic to a height so you can not see the iron sights. A lot of people like this height as it allows more heads up shooting while not being much larger of an offset than the 1/3 co-witness height.

2.26 mount: this was made famous unity tactical. It is the tallest mount height on the market. When using, your neck is straight up and down with no craning. As stated above I like it a lot but there is no free lunch. Using a unity riser requires you to pay more attention to height over bore offsets because of the height.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Evansky2 View Post
    If you're still wanting to try red dot sights you can try these following options. They go from shortest to tallest.

1/3 co-witness: this raises the red dot up so that you can only see the iron sights in the bottom 1/3 of the optic tube.

1.93 mount: this raises the optic to a height so you can not see the iron sights. A lot of people like this height as it allows more heads up shooting while not being much larger of an offset than the 1/3 co-witness height.

2.26 mount: this was made famous unity tactical. It is the tallest mount height on the market. When using, your neck is straight up and down with no craning. As stated above I like it a lot but there is no free lunch. Using a unity riser requires you to pay more attention to height over bore offsets because of the height.
    I think my whole problem is I'm trying to hold and aim the AR "pistol" like an AR rifle. Maybe I should SBR it and put a normal stock on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast