Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

Stoeger M3500 versus Winchester SX4

So, I picked up the Stoeger a while ago and have only shot a couple boxes of trap loads. Seems like a nice gun. I thought I was all set. Then my brother sent me a NIB Winchester SX4, which I have not shot. I really don't need both. Based on your experiences, which one would you keep? Thx in advance.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tkurban53 View Post
    So, I picked up the Stoeger a while ago and have only shot a couple boxes of trap loads. Seems like a nice gun. I thought I was all set. Then my brother sent me a NIB Winchester SX4, which I have not shot. I really don't need both. Based on your experiences, which one would you keep? Thx in advance.
    Well its a personal preference. The Stoeger is based on the Benelli inertia system and it even takes some of the Benelli M2 parts like the extractor on the bolt.. I like it because it means less maintainance and less cleaning in between periods.. I also like the fact that the action spring is in the forearm rather than in the stock, again a great plus for long term maintainance and relatively less felt recoil as compared to other inertia based semi autos.. I have the m3000 model that takes only up to 3 " shells.

The Winchester SX4 is a gas system, so by design it has the softest recoil over any inertia based semi auto. That said it would require more frequent cleaning than an inertia based system due to gas fouling. The SX4 is most probably a 70-30 or 60-40 pattern if I am not mistaken while the stoeger is flat shooting at 50/50 split pattern,

So quality wise I think the winchester has a little edge over the stoeger but it really doesn't matter much as I would consider them both equal in quality. So it all comes to personal prefrence:

Stoeger: Inertia syste
    1. slightly more recoil
    2. Less need to clean
    3. A 50-50 split pattern great for hunting, sporting clay and skeet.. When shooting trap you have to cover the rising clay or compensate by tipping the barrel up a little

Winchester SX4: Gas system
    1. Softer recoil
    2. More frequency for cleaning
    3. A 60-40 0r 70-30 split pattern: great for trap and anyother discipline as it allows for floating the target on the barrel or the front bead.

So it's a personal preference.. Pick what matters most for you and for your needs.. Hope I could help a little and not add to the confusion.. All in all, If I were in your shoes.. I will keep both.. And I will enjoy shooting both.

MGO Member
    JimSig, thx a bunch for the great post! Reputation +1

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tkurban53 View Post
    JimSig, thx a bunch for the great post! Reputation +1
    Very glad to help.. And no matter which shotgun you choose to keep, you will still be a winner.. Both are great shotguns.. By the way here is a video of my friend shooting my stoeger m3000 in an instinct mounting shooting style...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Fg-jLJnuWMI