Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Have you been thinking about Purchasing a 10mm pistol ? If so, read this..

I see fairly often in the WTB forum, people looking for, & WTB 10mm handguns.
    I wonder how much thought goes into their selection process, and decided I'd offer some of my thoughts to consider,
    if you find yourself contemplating adding a 10mm pistol to your collection.

I'll start off by confessing that I've owned a 10mm ..(Colt Delta Elite) for > 20 yrs. so my considerations are experience based.
    A few things to consider, when buying a 10mm firearm (if you haven't already).. 1st : do you hand load ?
    If not..I'd consider something else, for several reasons.

Shortly after I bought my 10mm, I purchased a case of Norma 10mm, ( the original company to factory load 10mm ammo ) .. & it isn't sold anymore.
    It's 180 gr loads are loaded to 1200 fps. per the box. "true" 10mm ammo (loaded to it's max potential ) is very expensive..and very hard to find in stock, locally. Not going to find 10mm ammo @ Walmart or Meijers. In fact , the only 10mm ammo I found in stock locally, was at Accurate Firearms ,
    near the club where I shoot. https://accuratefirearmsllc.com/
    Much of the "cheap-er"10mm that you'll find for sale is loaded closer to 40 S&W velocities, maybe a just little hotter.

Anytime you buy 10mm ammo ( unless you want the ammo for the cases to hand load ).. Check the velocity of what you're buying!,
    if you want 10mm performance. I use the MidwayUSA website. Most the ammo they list will have the velocity stated, if you look for it.

If you want full power 10mm ammo, you'll pay a premium for it..brands like Underwood & Buffalo Bore go for $1.50-2.00/ rnd. or more.
    This isn't an issue, if you hand load, but If you have to rely on factory ammo, be aware of it's (lack of) availability, & cost.

I decided to post this, as I feel many buying a 10mm firearm are not aware of the points that I've written, & this is why you see 10mm pistols listed FS as used guns that have had little use. Hope this info of of help top those considering a 10mm pistol purchase.
    Last edited by joepistol; 07-21-2022 at 04:36 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Stop scaring the new guys. We need them to buy their guns and ammo to drive up demand so prices on the ammo can fall. (ie supply goes up)

10mm is my primary pistol caliber. I started with a Glock 20C, which was very tame with full power 180gr 1350 fps Buffalo bore. Shooting the weak white box ammo was barely enough to operate it, cases dribbled out of the ejection port. I was elated when armscor came out with ‘cheap’ hot 10mm at $25/ box for 180gr 1250 fps FMJ. I think they’ve since backed off to 1100 fps. I haven’t kept track of pricing in the last few years, as I’ve been rolling my own, but the typical $35/box (well before covid) got old fast.

I’ve since added a full rail full steel 1911 which is a joy to shoot, with no more recoil than my commander .45 (though it weighs a lot more) and a Glock 29 that is an absolute handful.

I’m anxious to get my hands on a 10mm Vector to SBR. I’m absolutely in love with the caliber, and am excited to see so many new options in it. The new Sig Xten is phenomenal. But as stated, it’s not a beginners caliber. Range ammo isn’t cheap, and performs like .40. The pistols are large and full power 10mm has aggressive recoil for an auto. Hand loading my own warm loads and buying nuclear Buffalo bore for carry is where it’s at.

I am a Forum User
    I admit I’m new-ish to 10mm… But I knew what I was getting into..

I was, and still am, a fan of 40. A full power 10mm is just more of what I loved about 40.

I feel the more people who get into 10mm, the more offerings will be available commercially, some of which will approach actual 10mm loadings. Eventually I’ll have a metric ton of brass to reload to true spec, and all of the pistols/carbines/rifles to shoot it out of.

Now I just need to stop buying new guns and invest in reloading… my 450, 458, 6.8, 300blk, and 10mm once fired brass demands it

I am a Forum User
    I was looking @ 10mm ammo offerings on Midway last night..I was surprised that there are a LOT more brands offering 10mm ammo that in the past.
    Prices seem to have dropped a bit, & some brands are loading closer to full power loads at less than $1.00 / rnd.
    This is good news, for 10mm shooters.
    What I posted is still true, but slightly less so. More availability & lower prices, if purchased online.
    Still more expensive than other cals., and hard to find & expensive when found locally .

Most 10mm is loaded for 40 in 10mm brass to make them 'softer' shooting.
    So, yes, if you want it as backup pistol for bear while rifle hunting, make sure you get some Buf Bore or CorBon.
    If you want it for SD reasons, make sure you're getting HPs and then decide if the velocity is what you're looking for.
    If you handload, check for pressure signs. If you're like most 10 millie owners (myself included) you're going to redline that sucker and try to squeeze every FPS out of it you can. And if you're REALLY gonna load it hot, I'd probably stick with an all steel gun, not poly.

The 10 is a fantastic round and if loaded correctly, you can darn near get it to 41 mag power. Now to truly get it going, find a decent pistol caliber carbine in 10mm and watch that fireball.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

MGO Member
    Those magic words! A 10mm carbine. Wish Ruger would make a Non Take down 10mm that took Glock mags.

I am a Forum User
    I have a 10mm carbine that takes glock mags. It is a mech tech ccu. I also have an 10mm carbine that is a takedown that takes the same mags and is ambi eject it is just like a jrc carbine but made by another company i can't think of. Makes a great pair with a g40 or 20 and some 27 rd smg mags

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1baddude View Post
    I have a 10mm carbine that takes glock mags. It is a mech tech ccu. I also have an 10mm carbine that is a takedown that takes the same mags and is ambi eject it is just like a jrc carbine but made by another company i can't think of. Makes a great pair with a g40 or 20 and some 27 rd smg mags
    What did my wallet ever do to you?

Quote Originally Posted by buckey View Post
    Those magic words! A 10mm carbine. Wish Ruger would make a Non Take down 10mm that took Glock mags.

I’ve been on the search for a 10mm carbine for a while. 10mm’s point of diminishing returns seems to be about 8”, so I couldn’t bring myself to get a 16” rifle, and with the impending pistol brace “rule change” I think I’m finally just going to SBR a 6.5” Vector. Omega makes a couple 10mm HK clones, but at astronomical prices. Mechtech has always had my eye, but I’m not too keen on a wire stock. I’m thinking this is the ticket at 6.5” with Glock mags. Height over bore be damned. Current internet pricing for the stand alone Enhanced (6.5” version) pistol is $1250, the stock is $200, stamp is $200, so with shipping/ transfer/ engraving it should still be a sub $2000 dedicated 10mm carbine.

Also….which is a big deal when considering this…. I can’t get the Vector mags to work. I have a few, and the stack always binds on the transition between the Vector extension and the Glock mag housing. SGM mags (supplied with the Banshee) work great though. Since I have a few Vector mags with the same issue I’ll probably give them a call and see what their customer service is like.

Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 07-23-2022 at 04:44 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast