Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by rexzor2007 View Post
    I got into 10mm last year with a Sign P220 Legion. So far all my 10mms have seen is reloads (same goes for many others in my stable), but I do appreciate the heads up on velocity issues.
    The 220 SAO legion is one of my “must haves”. No reason to get one, as I already have a full rail all steel 10mm 1911, which is essentially the same configuration……I just want one. And now that Sig released the Xten, I’m in the same situation again. Same configuration as my 10mm glocks……but I just want one. More than once I’ve had my hands on one in the store, and was about to get the credit card out…..but my adult brain would say “you’ll also need new mags and holsters……and you already have this at home”.

Another note about Sig 10mm… I was excited to see they started offering full power FMJ 10mm for reasonable prices. I ended up buying a good amount, but was woefully disappointed. The first malfunctions my glocks ever had was with this Sig 10mm ammo. Both glocks and the 1911 experienced the same issues. Failure to extract, failure to feed. I for the life of me can’t figure out why. It’s hot stuff, but not one of my three 10mm’s liked it. With the glocks it’s was as if the extractor just slipped off the rim, and tried to feed another round into the spent casing. Even with a cleared chamber sometimes wouldn’t go half way into battery. On my Glock 20C, with both the factory and lone wolf barrel, Glock 29 gen4, and my tuned 1911 with full feed ramp. I measured OAL and diameter, all were within what my manuals said was acceptable…..but still the failures happened at least once or twice every magazine. I’m baffled.

Come to think of it, that was the last factory FMJ I ever bought for 10mm. I got myself a set of die’s right after.
    Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 07-25-2022 at 09:32 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel Fire Desire View Post
    The 220 SAO legion is one of my “must haves”. No reason to get one, as I already have a full rail all steel 10mm 1911, which is essentially the same configuration……I just want one. And now that Sig released the Xten, I’m in the same situation again. Same configuration as my 10mm glocks……but I just want one. More than once I’ve had my hands on one in the store, and was about to get the credit card out…..but my adult brain would say “you’ll also need new mags and holsters……and you already have this at home”.

Another note about Sig 10mm… I was excited to see they started offering full power FMJ 10mm for reasonable prices. I ended up buying a good amount, but was woefully disappointed. The first malfunctions my glocks ever had was with this Sig 10mm ammo. Both glocks and the 1911 experienced the same issues. Failure to extract, failure to feed. I for the life of me can’t figure out why. It’s hot stuff, but not one of my three 10mm’s liked it. With the glocks it’s was as if the extractor just slipped off the rim, and tried to feed another round into the spent casing. Even with a cleared chamber sometimes wouldn’t go half way into battery. On my Glock 20C, with both the factory and lone wolf barrel, Glock 29 gen4, and my tuned 1911 with full feed ramp. I measured OAL and diameter, all were within what my manuals said was acceptable…..but still the failures happened at least once or twice every magazine. I’m baffled.

Come to think of it, that was the last factory FMJ I ever bought for 10mm. I got myself a set of die’s right after.

I have found issues like this on many ammunition types in 10mm, either because of the roughness of the case or the low quality of the jacket. My unscientific observation is the newer the gun/barrel the higher the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by blancj8 View Post
    I have found issues like this on many ammunition types in 10mm, either because of the roughness of the case or the low quality of the jacket. My unscientific observation is the newer the gun/barrel the higher the chance.

I’ve recently had similar malfunctions with my .45’s that JimSig helped me work through. While cartridges were assembled correctly, and crimped using the bullet seat/ crimp combo die, they had a sticky case mouth when dragging a fingernail over them. They’d drop right into a case gauge and into barrels by hand, but under force and speed they’d bind and fail to go into battery. Adding a fourth dedicated factory crimp die fixed the issue. Maybe running that sig ammo through the crimp die would have helped, or it was just a bad lot.

It had every opportunity to work though, with 4 different barrels with 4 different finishes. Mirror polish tight 1911 chamber, new Glock 29 barrel, new lone wolf barrel (different finish), and a very well used Glock 20C barrel that’s unsupported and on the loose side with glocks old mirror shine slick melonite finish.

Now that you bring it up these malfunctions I had with my .45 hand loads and the dig ammo was pretty similar. I might buy another few hundred and run them through my crimp die to try them out. I need more brass anyway.

I am a Forum User
    I have my suspicions that Sig doesn't actually make the ammo with their name on it..(otherwise, it'd be a lot more expensive)
    They probably contract with a large ammo producer to stamp their name on the brass cases & make boxes of Sig's design,
    so it can be sold under their brand name. Again, just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by joepistol View Post
    I have my suspicions that Sig doesn't actually make the ammo with their name on it..(otherwise, it'd be a lot more expensive)
    They probably contract with a large ammo producer to stamp their name on the brass cases & make boxes of Sig's design,
    so it can be sold under their brand name. Again, just my thoughts.

I’d imagine so. Not sure who though. It’s loaded very warm for FMJ, and is abnormally clean. Cases and bullets have a mirror shine. Not your typical mass producer product. Underwood maybe?

MGO Member
    It seems Sig does indeed manufacture their own ammo.

https://americanhandgunner.com/gear/...o-made-in-usa/

I am a Forum User
    I am surprised.. interesting article, thanks for posting the link.

I learned something new today!

I am a Forum User
    Sig Elite has been only one of the few mass produced 10mm loads that are full power. I've chrono'd a bit of them on my youtube channel, but no where near as expansive as other calibers. Most of these 10mm loads from S&B and Federal are barely above 40S&W loads.

I am a Forum User
    .." Most of these 10mm loads from S&B and Federal are barely above 40S&W loads. " ...... & that's true for other companies as well.

That's 1 of the reasons I started this thread..so others would know...( without having to learn from experience)

Quote Originally Posted by Buffman View Post
    Sig Elite has been only one of the few mass produced 10mm loads that are full power. I've chrono'd a bit of them on my youtube channel, but no where near as expansive as other calibers. Most of these 10mm loads from S&B and Federal are barely above 40S&W loads.
    Yep. When I was still buying store bought white box and blazer, the stuff barely dribbled out of my glocks ejection ports. Buffalo Bore would launch them into the next county. All went bang though…..but it was no 10mm.

Armscor WAS warm stuff (neutered now), sig still is.

My current pet economy load is plated 165 grain lead on top of acc #9 at 1250 fps. Big fireball, and flies very similar as my factory defensive load. It doesn’t play well with my Glock 20C and it’s ported barrel though. The ports shave lead. So it’s just FMJ in that barrel now and a lone wolf barrel to shoot plated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123