Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AR owner

I can't post links yet! Forum User

New AR owner

Hello all. I’ve been a convicted felon for the last 20 years for a petty Marijuana charge I got when I was 17 down in GA. I finally received a pardon with restoration of my firearm rights. I purchased a Glock 17 and then a Black Rain Spec 15. My question is, what are some accessories to purchase for my AR?

In Memoriam Forum User
    Congratulations on getting your pardon! Take your time, think about what "you" really want or better yet need. You can spend more than the AR cost on all kinds of crap to make it look cool but they all add weight and many get in the way. It all depends on how you plan to used it. Target shooting, hunting, self defense, ETC. Youtube has tons of reviews!

I am a Forum User
    Ammo and magazines

I am a Forum User
    Ammo and range time.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Cleaning kit and supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Ammo and range time.
    Bingo.

You can spend thousands on furniture and optics, but still be outshot by the guy running a carry handle who trains diligently with it. I went down the tacticool road with AR’s in the beginning, even building a dedicated race gun. But in the end, today, both my 16” and 20” my AR has a carry handle. The 20” has a fixed stock and a simple sling, with knowledge on how to use it effectively. Accurate, reliable, and shot often. Couldn’t be more happy with its performance. It’s fun to take to a public range, and have guys with very modern setups come over and ask me what it is I’m shooting. Traditional setups have almost become foreign to new shooters.

While I’m not the best shooter by far, this is easily a 300 meter rifle….or so Army qualification says. And the sight is calibrated for an ambitious 600 meters using the diopter. While the ghost ring is designed for 0-200 meter use, I still prefer using the diopter down to 100 yards, and change my point of aim.

[img]

Congrats on getting your rights back!!

Here is a quick list for ya.
    Sling, Ammo, range time, training, ammo, cleaning supplies, flashlight, ammo, optic.
    Last edited by Coctailer; 07-25-2022 at 10:42 AM.

MGO Member
    As someone already said, it depends what you want to do with it.

When I set up a new guy with an AR this is what he gets.

Sling, 6 mags, optic, and carrying case. Additionally, I'd get ammo. Ammo is probably the most volatile aspect of the firearms market. The firearm itself and mags can also be subject to market factors, but ammo seems to be the most susceptible.

By the way, I have the ability to put a light on my AR's, but I prefer to have one on my pistol. So you might want to get a Streamlight or Surefire for your Glock.

Hmmmm that's a Baskin - Robbins X 500 question !
    BASICS . . . . and keep it simple.
    Mags . . . . 6 to start . . 2 @30, 2@20, 2@10 + loader
    Ammo . . . depending on barrel twist
    Optic . . . . how far out ya want to try and reach ? from red dot @ $100 to Wow 5-20x50 $1k and beyond !
    Range bag . . . to start collecting stuff in
    Rifle case . . . . with pockets >>> more storage please !
    Light . . . . . with remote switch.

There is far too many options . . . . make TWO list "NEED & WANT"... after you have spent some time with it to determine upgrades prefered.
    Did you want a waffle cone with that ?

Welcome to MGO! As you have discovered, you are going to receive a lot of help, answers, opinions and support from our members.

I might add to your list one more item: training. There are many training organizations around, but one of the better ones that has been associated with MGO is MDFI. I would recommend starting with basic handgun and carbine classes, to find out what you can and cannot do with your firearms. With that as your baseline, you'll be in a better position to figure out what accessories and additional training you will need, and those that you may want.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast