Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Black oxide on an old shotgun

Hi All! This is a question pertaining to the gun in my last post

https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...an-old-shotgun

I have an offer to get it coated in black oxide for free. My buddy works at a machine shop sends parts out to a guy to get coated in oxide and they say I can add the barrel and receiver in for free.

So the questions are:

1. Will black oxide look good on an old gun like this?
    2. Is black oxide a better option than cold bluing the gun myself?
    3. What would you do?

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    From my experience stay away from black oxide. It rusts incredibly easy. Cerakote if you want to spend the money or rattle can if you want to go cheap. My cold bluing experiences have been fine on small parts but not on large areas. Finish never came out even in large patches

What model shot gun ?

MGO Member
    Not sure of the process for black oxide but remember a old gun may react different to every process.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    What model shot gun ?
    Iver Johnson arms and cycle works champion in 20 gauge. Made between 1920 and 1929.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jr9912 View Post
    From my experience stay away from black oxide. It rusts incredibly easy. Cerakote if you want to spend the money or rattle can if you want to go cheap. My cold bluing experiences have been fine on small parts but not on large areas. Finish never came out even in large patches
    Do you have any pictures? I've seen some pictures of what this guy does on jigs and fixtures and it looks pretty good.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by J Carter View Post
    Do you have any pictures? I've seen some pictures of what this guy does on jigs and fixtures and it looks pretty good.
    Looks exactly like any tooling you would have done with it but it flash rusted in my safe after a very liberal application of oil. I had to bead blast the receiver and cold blue it.

I’ve been told black oxide is a type of blueing if treated properly behaves the same regarding corrosion. The process is rust based and proper halting it, then keeping a good oil or protectant is need, I would not apply it to a $5K shotgun probably, but an old family heirloom that will not be taken in the field and see rough handling and neglect it may be a good option. The price is right and its not like you can’t remove it and apply something else if not happy with it. JMO
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by J Carter View Post
    Iver Johnson arms and cycle works champion in 20 gauge. Made between 1920 and 1929.
    Classy looking gun but looked it up, not super valuable ate you going to use it ?

If you do use it, then just compare it to the price of a new shotgun and get it blued. As long as its cheaper than a comparable new shotgun then you aren't getting to crazy.