Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Thumbs up Palmetto State Armory : a customer service report

I recently began having an extraction issue on my AR-10..fired cases wouldn't completely extract, (eject)
    then they got jammed in the chamber, by the next round in the magazine trying to feed.
    Several cases ruined when the case mouth got smashed against the side of the ejection port..

Talked to my gun guru (Doug Jones) , he suggested most likely caused by worn rings on the bolt..easily replaced.
    Since my AR-10 is actually a PA-10 (PSA product) and they have a stated lifetime warranty, rather than doing anything, decided to give them a call.

I'll say I have a bad history with PSA customer service dept from past experience, because of a PSA AR kit I purchased years ago.
    I was less than impressed with the service back then. Emails sent got NO response. Phone calls had lengthy wait times, so long, I'd give up trying to reach them.
    So much difficulty trying to get a response to an issue that my rifle had, I decided I was through with PSA.
    Doug, my guru, helped me resolve the issue(s) I had with that AR..eventually got it running well.

Years pass & I tried PSA again,with a 7.62 X 39 upper & BCG..it was very reliable & impressively accurate. Never had any issues with it.
    My PA-10, purchased a year or so later, was as good. Very accurate & reliable.. until recent issue started.

This time, I call PSA & call was answered quickly. I was given information that a prepaid label would be emailed to me (July 27th)
    & I should box the BCG and send it to them. She said they'd send out a replacement BCG. I followed their instructions. Sent BCG out July 28th
    Received an email ( 8-1) saying they'd received the part, and would be inspected & repaired /replaced, processing should take 3-5 business days
    Next day (8-2), another email said processing completed, expect part in mail, if not received within 10 days, contact them.
    New BCG arrived 8-5

To recap; 1) my call was answered quickly, by helpful & knowledgeably staff person.
    2) Email with RMA for part return was sent out immediately after phone call
    3) Prepaid mailer returned part , was receive on 8-1,
    4) Par examined & processed, new part sent out 8-2
    Part arrived 8-5...

I was impressed enough with the improved customer service I received I thought I should post about it. Joe

MGO Member
    But is the problem fixed?
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I frequent the PSA forums. They will get you help with issues fast here.
    https://palmettostatearmory.com/forum/
    Join MGO Date 07-25-2007
    AMAC Member

I am a Forum User
    Love hearing about GOOD customer service experiences with PSA. The bad reviews tend to overshadow everything. I talk with the founder of PSA weekly, I'll be sure to pass along your praises.

I am a Forum User
    But is the problem fixed?

Don't know how well this is known, but to test if the bolt rings are worn out, you can remove the BCG, extend the bolt in the carrier,
    then stand the BCG on the bolt face. The bolt rings should support the weight of the BCG, w/o the bolt sliding into the carrier.
    If the bolt slides inside the carrier, the rings are worn out.

I've tried this test on all my AR's, when cleaning the rifle. My PA bolt slid inside the carrier, easily when tested.
    I also noticed holding the carrier & moving the bolt back & forth inside carrier..no resistance was felt.
    Guess the rings were REALLY worn out.

I tested the new BCG that PSA sent yesterday..it easily passed the test.
    Resistance easily felt when moving the bolt forward & backward while inside the carrier.

Cleaned, lubed, & installed new bolt today.
    Too hot to go to the range today..supposed to see temp drop Tues..will try it then , the post a report on how it works.

MGO Member
    I purchase quite a bit more stuff than you through psa...I think it was last year when I was putting together a lower when I realized the kit was missing a part. Fortunately I had another kit to get the part and complete the build. The next day I called and the helpful lady promptly sent me a replacement part.

So my experience with PSA customer service is limited, but good.

I recently had a problem with a new rifle purchased from GA Precision (on a completely different level than PSA). There were 2 problems with the rifle...small chip on the stock and the magazine dropped free i.e. it didn't lock in the magwell. I just so happened to contact the salesman and he gave me his personal cell. The correct mags are coming and the stock is being repaired. He's even throwing in a t shirt for my troubles. I did chew him out a little bit because a $4,500 rifle shouldn't be sent out unless it's perfect. He agreed and he apologized.

I am a Forum User
    Wow.. I agree.
    A $4,500 firearm...my expectation would be it shouldn't be shipped if it isn't perfect, in the price range.
    In fact, I'd expect that perfection in a firearm @ 1/2 that price.

Though,as an old-(er) COB, that may be unrealistic , in today's market

I am a Forum User
    Forgot to add an update:
    the replacement BCG arrived @ my home about a week after I sent the original BCG to PSA for repair/replacement.
    I wondered if they'd just change the gas rings & return my old parts to me.
    Girl that I spoke with @ PSA said they'd send a replacement BCG.. which they did.

I took apart & cleaned the new BCG, the oiled & reinstalled it, ready for the range in the morning.
    I noticed the new BCG easily passed the stand- it -on- it's- bolt face & see -if -the- gas rings -support the weight , "test"
    At the range, rifle works perfectly. Shot only 20-30 rds & no issues @ all with extraction , ejection of brass, of dbl. feed events.
    I could've shot more, but just wanted to see if the issue was fixed.
    It is..and all the shots were where I wanted them..either in, or around, the bullseye!

Thanks, PSA..