Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    If you enjoy shooting, I won't recommend a particular 9mm, but will side with those suggesting you save more & buy a more expensive pistol.
    There are several reasons..most have been learned this from personal experience, you buy1 pistol that you think will meet your needs.
    Every time you shoot it, you may ( will ) be thinking..I really SHOULD have bought "X" instead.
    " X" , of course being, the pistol you REALLY like, and wanted to buy, but was thought it to be too expensive.

I've purchased probably 50 pistols in my long shooting experience. I can say, the guns I thought I was spending too much money on,
    ended up being not only my favorites, but the best bargains I've purchased.
    This is partially because quality pistols, taken care of, will appreciate in value over time.
    Mostly because I enjoy shooting them so much more than other pistols ,( often the same caliber ) that I own.

Shoot / rent/ try as many different 9mm's as you can, to see what you like.
    Buy what you like best, regardless of cost. You'll think it was worth it every time you shoot it.

That's been my experience.
    Last edited by joepistol; 08-07-2022 at 02:25 PM.

My favorite is a Sig 226, got it as a police trade -in so it came with 3 mags and a nice thick Pachmayr grip.
    I have a CZ Rami and I also like shooting My wife's Sig p938. Have a few more but these 3 are my favorite all around shooting pistols in 9mm I do have a Glock 19 for carry. I know my favorites are a little more than what you want but I think it would be worth it to go a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by french_guy_2012 View Post
    I went to the Pontiac shooting range a few years ago with someone who let me shoot some of is 9mm pistols (a Glock and another one, but only recall it was made in Turkey - Canik? Sarsilmaz?)
    Other than that, not sure what I like and don't like in each specific model (except the "look" and the size)

Also, I'm not a US citizen, so if I were to have to leave the country, I would not be able to take it with me in my home country....It sucks, but I need to take this in consideration anyway
    As long as you buy a common cz, sig, glock, xd, Walther, sw etc you can unload it in a few days.

Just don't buy something custom or high end. No worries you can get enough out of your 600 buck sw don't let that change what you buy.

No $3,500 custom 1911

I am a Forum User
    So is the Stoeger STR9 a bad choice? Would the Ruger Security 9 be better (knowing it comes with 2 mags)?
    Would a Stoeger be hard to sale if I had to?
    Last edited by french_guy_2012; 08-07-2022 at 08:28 PM.

As long as you are still thinking about your purchase, have you considered a 1911? I really enjoy mine in 9mm. Also, have you considered purchasing a used handgun? I know you have a gift card, but, maybe, if you use the MGO marketplace, the seller might accept that.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    " have you considered a 1911? I really enjoy mine in 9mm."

I would've suggested a 9mm 1911, but it'd be well beyond his price range, & I posted I wouldn't suggest one..
    I f I did, this would be it: a Bul Armory Cmdr. in 9mm

I am a Forum User
    What is the intended use of the gun. Carry, home defense, gaming like IDPA/Steel challenge USPSA etc..?
    Invest another $100 and for $400 you can buy a used Glock 17 or 19 .. Both of these guns can be used for all the purposes above..
    Also if you had to sell as you mentioned you can sell the glock much faster than any of the other brands..

I do not know your immigration status as you are stating that you are not a US citizen so you also have to check what you are eligible for by the law before you plan your purchase, I am sure you know what you are doing.. I just wanted to be clear on that too in case you haven't checked yet.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JimSig View Post
    What is the intended use of the gun. Carry, home defense, gaming like IDPA/Steel challenge USPSA etc..?
    Invest another $100 and for $400 you can buy a used Glock 17 or 19 .. Both of these guns can be used for all the purposes above..
    Also if you had to sell as you mentioned you can sell the glock much faster than any of the other brands..

I do not know your immigration status as you are stating that you are not a US citizen so you also have to check what you are eligible for by the law before you plan your purchase, I am sure you know what you are doing.. I just wanted to be clear on that too in case you haven't checked yet.
    Not planning to carry, not at all. Not really thinking home defense, but if I were to buy one and needed to use it to protect myself and my family in my own house if necessary, I would use it. Actually, the main use will be target practice at the shooting range once in a while
    I've always been interested in firearms (had tons of fun shooting different firearms when I did my military service many years ago), but owning firearms is not easy in my home country. So at the end, it's also something like "finally, I own a 9mm pistol"
    I purchased a 22lr pistol 5 years ago. Bought it online, delivered at a FFL, went thru the background check and was transferred to me at the end. As a non US citizen, I'm allowed to purchase firearms being a legal alien with a visa, resident of Michigan with a valid ID, and a hunting license
    And if it was rejected for any reason, well.............it won't be the end of the world

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by french_guy_2012 View Post
    Not planning to carry, not at all. Not really thinking home defense, but if I were to buy one and needed to use it to protect myself and my family in my own house if necessary, I would use it. Actually, the main use will be target practice at the shooting range once in a while
    I've always been interested in firearms (had tons of fun shooting different firearms when I did my military service many years ago), but owning firearms is not easy in my home country. So at the end, it's also something like "finally, I own a 9mm pistol"
    I purchased a 22lr pistol 5 years ago. Bought it online, delivered at a FFL, went thru the background check and was transferred to me at the end. As a non US citizen, I'm allowed to purchase firearms being a legal alien with a visa, resident of Michigan with a valid ID, and a hunting license
    And if it was rejected for any reason, well.............it won't be the end of the world
    In that case i would advise to buy a hammer fired gun.. The reason is buying a striker fired gun the trigger will be in the 5.5 to 6 lbs and would require extensive amount of ammo and range time to be proficient to the extent that you will start enjoying our range time.. With that criteria that it is not for carry, but more for extensive range time fun and for a possible home defense emergency, it is clear that the $300 will not put you in the right category. Among the best triggers out of the box close to that price would be a Canik TP9SF ~ $400. Next if you like the beretta m92 if you look for a used one you might find one for $450 and it would be a nice fit for what you want.. A Girsan clone of beretta is not bad as well and there is one for sale on MGO by Dan Abraham.

Bottom line you have to stretch your budget for $400-$450 to get a decent easy to shoot gun to enjoy the experience.. If you get a cheaper gun you might have compromised the fun factor of the gun and got a defensive gun for short distance defense.. In the 4400-$450 range you can a Canik, a used Beretta PX4 or 92FS, a CZ p07 or p09, these are all easy triggers to learn.

(if you are willing to invest in range time to learn how to master a heavier trigger) then SW mp or a glock - If you are willing to make a trip to Ann Arbor - ypsilanti area I can host yo at my club to try couple of glocks..

MGO Member
    Palmetto, PSA has a few Taurus 9mm for $230 right now in daily deals.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/dail...acturer=Taurus

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast