Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Red dot/variable sight options for a 308 rifle

I'm looking in the future to get a mid-sized scope or Red Dot for a HK G3 clone (308 semi auto rifle). I feel a variable sight might be a good choice, but I have no idea where to start as there are so many
    I'm kinda looking for a shorter one, I'd prefer not to get one that looks like a full sized scope. Like the biggest size I'd want would be similar to a traditional ACOG. Maybe that's what I'll even go with.
    But since I'm not too familiar in the sites area I'd like suggestions and things to look up so I can do better research for the future

I am a Forum User
    If your looking for a magnified optic but want to stay around the size of an acog then your stuck with an acog. It is also fixed magnification so you will need to run an offset or piggyback red dot if you want 1x capability. If you can handle going up in weight and size, I would get an LPVO (1-6,1-8,1-10). This will give you the capability of an acog and red dot in one optic for about the same weight. If you do go that route I would suggest the vortex viper pst gen II. This is probably the best value optic you can buy. If you can either afford it or save up the money go with a vortex razor.

MGO Member
    Acog. Primary Arms and Burris prisms. These are fixed power but an option. They are all very compact.

Some of the nicer LPVO scopes aren’t huge. I think Primary Arms has a more compact one that is well regarded.