Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help cleaning a rifle with brake

How do I clean a rifle bore with a muzzle brake on it.
    Do I remove the brake or just push the brush through it like a regular bore. (From the chamber to the bore end)
    Americans 4 American Workers .com " I Buy American "
    " NRA for Life "

MGO Member
    Just push it through! Sometimes I use a nylon brush oh the brake if it gets dirty

I give the brake itself a squirt of Gun Scrubber to cut carbon build up in the holes and bore followed by a flushing. A spray of RemOil or similar works fine, then clean as normal. The idea I have for cleaning the brake is its larger diameter bore then the barrel and ports do not get cleaned by simply running a patch down the rifles bore, although a dirty brake doesn’t harm anything other then get things dirty it touches as carbon builds up on the outside.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

MGO Board of Directors

I clean as normal, just push it through. Prior to that, like Ol' Joe, I spray the brake with Gun Scrubber to knock the carbon down. If still dirty, Ill use a nylon brush between the ports/baffles with more Gun Scrubber.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Depending on how the brake is designed you might want to run a small brush (22 caliber works on mine) through the gas port holes.

I have a stainless Magna-port brake on a light weight 30:06. The "side" holes rarely get dirty. The blast pressure keeps them clean.

Mark

I am a Forum User
    You might want to use a straw to get through the brake

Pipe cleaners!

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Pipe cleaners!
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

If it’s easily removed, AK, Vz58, I’d remove it. If not, just clean as suggested.
    Active airport shooter

MGO Member
    I have brakes on many of my AR's and follow the same protocol as discussed above. However, I found once that I needed to remove a brake and found some carbon buildup in the "gap" between the barren and the brake and on the crown. Then got that cleaned off with all the usual scraping and wire brushes. So, after a few thousand rounds it might be worth while removing a brake to do some extra cleaning. I guess it depends on how "anal" you are about cleaning. I don't think it would make any difference in the function of your rifle if you never removed the brake for cleaning

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast