Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In Memoriam Forum User

Smith & Wesson issues statement…

Smith & Wesson issues statement…

https://citizenfreepress.com/breakin...2nd-amendment/

I am a Forum User

Happy to see them taking a positive stance. Just hard to forget this from 2000.

WASHINGTON — WASHINGTON -- President Clinton announced a landmark agreement with the nation's largest gun manufacturer yesterday that could fundamentally change the way guns are designed, manufactured, marketed and sold throughout the country.

Under the agreement, the federal government will lift a threatened lawsuit against firearms giant Smith & Wesson, and at least 24 state and local governments will drop their class-action lawsuits against the company. In exchange, the company will incorporate sophisticated new safety devices in Smith & Wesson guns, require mandatory background checks at gun shows and implement stringent limits in the marketing and sales of handguns.

At an Oval Office ceremony, the president hailed the "courage and vision" of Smith & Wesson, and called the settlement "a major victory for America's families."

"The effort to reduce gun violence, to protect our children, keep guns out of the hands of criminals and children is not about politics," Clinton said. "It is about saving lives. This agreement shows we can get so much done when we find the courage to find common ground."

The agreement's impact might well go beyond the sale of Smith & Wesson weapons, as the company has agreed that any gun store or gun show that sells its products will have to abide by the sales and marketing standards set out in the accord.

Several state attorneys general and big city mayors immediately announced that law enforcement agencies under their control would boycott gun makers that do not sign on, effectively sending all their business to Smith & Wesson or other arms manufacturers that honor the accord.

The gun industry's trade group, the National Shooting Sports Foundation, reacted angrily, charging that Smith & Wesson "has violated a trust with their consumers and with the entire domestic firearms industry."

I am a Forum User
    Much unlike DD and Ruger, and it's sad, as Ruger has some of the best beginner 22s on the market. Guess I'll stick to buying used now.

Quote Originally Posted by VIGILANT View Post
    Why is it a surprise that a gun mfr would put up such a statement in the first place? No one expected them to say the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeDee View Post
    Why is it a surprise that a gun mfr would put up such a statement in the first place? No one expected them to say the opposite.
    It is a surprise because Smith & Wesson in the past knuckled under with the lawyer locks, it is refreshing to see the change.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Happy to see them taking a positive stance. Just hard to forget this from 2000.
    Dont forget Glock was right behind them on the bandwagon until they saw the reaction to S&Ws (a British owned firm then) knuckling under. I dont think many foreign gun companies, with very few exceptions, have a true understanding of American gun culture. Especially being under the thumb of their own countries governments as they are
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    It is a surprise because Smith & Wesson in the past knuckled under with the lawyer locks, it is refreshing to see the change.
    They all 'change' when $$$$$ are involved, ergo the 'change' is 'portended' at best.

I remember when they were with Bangor Punta and the second run of 2.75" model 66's, unlike the first batch which was near elegant, looked like they had been hacked out of an old iron ingot with a dull axe and some of my friends firing brand new ones of these experienced lead shavings the size of Xtra large toenail cuticles from the lack of cylinder timing.

And that's the truth b/c I was standing next to one of the men firing one at the time and was being hit by those shavings.

Smith fell off the QC wagon years ago, IMO.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeDee View Post
    Because during recent senate hearings DD and Ruger publicly supported the ATF.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Because during recent senate hearings DD and Ruger publicly supported the ATF.
    Other than showing up for the dog n pony show, how did they support the atf? What they both said was highlighting the blame on the individuals, not the items used.

Killoy said his company was a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, characterizing the tension between the right to bear arms and those who use them to do harm as a “complex topic.”

“We firmly believe that it is wrong to deprive citizens of their constitutional right to purchase the lawful firearm they desire because of the criminal acts of wicked people,” Killoy added.
    “I want to give you the opportunity now to show personal responsibility,” said Maloney. “Will you accept personal responsibility for your company’s role in this tragedy and apologize to the families of Uvalde?”

Marty Daniel, CEO of Daniel Defense, eluded the question, shifting responsibility instead to the gunman.

“These acts are committed by murderers,” said Daniel. “The murderers are responsible.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast