Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Mini-14 Adjustable Gas Block

Have any of you used the Accuracy Systems adjustable gas block on a Mini-14? What are your thoughts? I am considering this primarily because I don't enjoy traveling to the next county to retrieve ejected brass. I believe an added bonus is a slight increase in accuracy.

This post is not intended to start a comparison between Mini-14's and other rifles.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I know there are different size bushings available, pretty easy to swap in. Getting the gap even on each side is supposed to help accuracy. A bushing assortment might be cheaper than an adjustable GB. I cut mine down to 13”, and the factory bushing now works as you might expect from a tuned rifle. Lol!
    https://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.c...ushing-Kit.php
    Last edited by JDG; 08-26-2022 at 06:19 PM.
    Active airport shooter

Unless you're doing a bunch of different handloads and testing, save your money. A $40 gas reduction bushing kit is all you need. It should fix the factory bushing bounce too.
    Especially since you're not trying to accurize this into a match rifle.

I am a Forum User
    changing the bushing looks a lot easier ( & less expensive) than trying to find a brass catcher to fit a Mini 14 or 30.
    After looking for a catcher that fit my Mini's..I gave up. Only brass catchers found for those rifles were always "out of stock" ,
    when I found any for sale.
    Just 1 of several reasons I like the AR format rifles much better.

Thanks for the tip on replacing just the bushing. How challenging would it be for a non-mechanically-oriented individual to change the bushings? I've not found an easy to follow video that shows bushing replacements, just adjustable gas block. And, per Accuracy Systems, I should start with the middle-sized bushing. Would that be the 0.040" or the 0.045" bushing?

So much to learn.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    Thanks for the tip on replacing just the bushing. How challenging would it be for a non-mechanically-oriented individual to change the bushings? I've not found an easy to follow video that shows bushing replacements, just adjustable gas block. And, per Accuracy Systems, I should start with the middle-sized bushing. Would that be the 0.040" or the 0.045" bushing?

So much to learn.
    This is all you need...thankfully you don't have to grind them down anymore...usually

2 tools and a 5th grade reading level - it's that simple.
    https://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/G...structions.php
    AND a in/lb torque wrench for that weirdo 9/64 hex. (non-mechanically inclined eh? Do you know the proper way/order to torque the bolts back down incrementally? If not, I am sure someone here can chime in later.)

You can start with the .045, but most of the people I know or usually see at the ranges use the .050. I deux too - it's just right.

If you still need a video
    https://www.facebook.com/TheGunDoc/v...3250639435469/
    Last edited by MCPO_SOCM_RET; 08-31-2022 at 08:46 PM. Reason: I can't read past the 4th grade apparently

I was fully expecting to have to enlarge my bushing after the bbl chop(because everyone said so) but it functioned perfect. I would start smaller(.040) because the gas pulse is pretty strong. Get a cheap set of feeler gauges if you don't have some, and get the gaps equal on the gas block. Good luck! It is not difficult, just don't force anything.
    Active airport shooter

Do I need to remove the stock before replacing the bushing? From just looking at the rifle, I have easy access to the gas block, and, from watching the linked video, it looks easy enough but like I said before, I do lack knowledge in these matters.

OK, if I actually read the instructions that MCPO_SOCM_RET provided, above (and thankfully, a copy was sent with my order), I know the answer to my question. Now, I just need to study up on removing the stock and handguard. I'm sure it's not that difficult, except for the first time.

I appreciate the assistance.

Super simple brother! It took my wife about 5 minutes to learn how to field strip it.

https://ruger.com/videos.html?vid=131271507&cat=3769276

You can use that pansy "leverage" tool if you want, fingers work fine and will stop you from cranking the living hell out of the trigger guard.

~Masterchief
    Last edited by MCPO_SOCM_RET; 09-07-2022 at 12:37 PM.