Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

Entry level competition pistol - 9mm & 22

Howdy - looking to pick up an entry level 9mm competition pistol. My budget encompasses a CZ Shadow 2 at the $1600~ (tops) area but being a beginner in 'really trying hard with hand guns' I don't think I need such a fine handgun to start with - especially before I know this is something I'd like to give a real try to.

I've looked around and from near as I can tell by feel alone I've come to conclude the following:

Most bang for the buck and I like the ergonomics and trigger the best: Canik TP9SFX Rival.

In my mind, right along with that Canik is the S&W M&P 2.0 (link to the particular model: here https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...nter?sku=11824

Things to note:
    • I have a M&P9 1.0 (4.25" barrel) so sharing the mags would be a bonus.
    • Additionally red dots are not very helpful to me as my astigmatism turns the clean little dot into a giant smear so optics readiness isn't a factor.
    • Keeping the price down allows for more ammo which is probably going to benefit me more than the better gun.

I don't mind spending the money but I'd like a realistic recommendation on these 2 or any other hand guns anyone may see fit.

Additionally I'm looking at a Taurus Tx22 Competition for the 'speed plinking' game. It was between the Tx22 and the Sig P322. I want more capacity than my Ruger MK3 gives me even though it's a fine gun. If you have an experience with these two, please chime in as well. I dismissed the KelTec CP33 immediately after finding its unconventional mag release.

I used to compete in local IDPA matches. There were a couple of guys there who competed at the state, regional, and I think, national level. They were using race guns, set up specifically for competition, and came with a comparable price tag. My humble advice is, unless you know you are going to be a top-notch competitor, start at the local level with what you currently have. Get a feel for what the game you are playing is all about (IDPA, steel challenge, USPSA, etc.), then decide how far you want, or need, to go with gear. I have learned over the years in this and other sports/hobbies, that more expensive gear does not win the blue ribbon, but rather being skillful with the gear you do have. When I shot IDPA, I had no illusions that I would take the top spot at the nationals. But, I did go into each match with the mindset of doing better than the last match.

So, to sum it up, attend some matches, run what you brung, and have fun as you learn more about your capabilities.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Waverly View Post
    I used to compete in local IDPA matches. There were a couple of guys there who competed at the state, regional, and I think, national level. They were using race guns, set up specifically for competition, and came with a comparable price tag. My humble advice is, unless you know you are going to be a top-notch competitor, start at the local level with what you currently have. Get a feel for what the game you are playing is all about (IDPA, steel challenge, USPSA, etc.), then decide how far you want, or need, to go with gear. I have learned over the years in this and other sports/hobbies, that more expensive gear does not win the blue ribbon, but rather being skillful with the gear you do have. When I shot IDPA, I had no illusions that I would take the top spot at the nationals. But, I did go into each match with the mindset of doing better than the last match.

So, to sum it up, attend some matches, run what you brung, and have fun as you learn more about your capabilities.
    Thank you for the response. This is probably the best advice I could get really. I was already gonna hold off on any purchasing of the 9mm but I may just hold off on the 22 as well. I do like the Taurus a good bit though.

I am a Forum User
    Heard good things about the Canik, but get what you like. I agree to stick with your M&P for your first few matches. Get someone to video you and then review where you can improve your time. Work on that first. When you get pretty good at not wasting time then see if you think your shooting would be better/faster if you had a different gun. As far a a 22 goes the only competition for them is steel challenge, and you need a gun the works / functions well. Mag capacity of 10 is enough for that. I have the 322, it is pretty accurate and mine has not had any of the issues that are floating around on you tube. The TX22 is good also if you want more rounds in the mag, but a 10 shot 22 is all you need for Steel challenge.

MGO Member
    I agree with Mr Waverly, run with what you have and see if you like it. I started shooting IDPA with a S&W SW9VE. I learned the basics of how to shoot and move as well as how to do reloads and clear malfunctions. Then I ultimately went with a M&P 9C which is also my normal carry gun. This allowed me to practice in stressful situations with the gun I will have in the most stressful situation.

I am a Forum User
    I would use the M&P until you decide what shooting sport you are going to compete in. This could be USPSA, steel challenge, and/or IDPA. After doing so you can narrow down what division within that sport appeal to you. By doing so, you will have a list or criteria of guns you can pick from. USPSA and steel challenge have very similar divisions where as IDPA has different division rules. The worst thing that can happen is buying a gun and then realizing it is not legal for the division you wanted to shoot.

Lastly talk to shooters at the competition. They are the best source of knowledge. I would venture to guess anyone you talk to would let you handle their gun at a safety table.

MGO Member
    Nothing wrong with the M&P for the competitions. Every gun becomes a training gun if used that way. Find a good holster, maybe not a competitive one and a few useable mag pouches. Perhaps the holster / pouch combo can be used for CCW as well.

Then go watch an event and ask questions. I truly believe that most participants will help and guide you, they do after all want more shooters.

As mentioned in a previous post some of the organizing bodies are sticklers on guns and classifications. I never worried as all I wanted was trigger time.

But remember - if it has a timer, points and rules it's a GAME. This doesn't discount that it's good trigger time.

Jim

I am a Forum User
    Not sure if your still looking, but I absolutely love the sfx I've had mine since it first came out. Put a lot of work helping build the community and help with aftermarket parts. Best out of the box gun for the price.