Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Low-cost Night Vision Scope - Your experience?

Looking for first-hand knowledge of some of the budget night vision scopes.

Tell me what you know, please?
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

What platform are you using it on - recoil?
    Mounting style - weaver?
    Estimated range of use - 100, 200?
    Fixed or variable zoom?
    Clarity - gen2 or 3?
    Built in IR laser or flood or none?
    Budget means - less than $400, $800, ?

A $300 fixed 2x gen2 could be good if you're shooting popcorn farts inside 100yds, but if you are using a coyote round out at 300yds / or a larger caliber - the price can double or triple.

Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    What platform are you using it on - recoil?
    Mounting style - weaver?
    Estimated range of use - 100, 200?
    Fixed or variable zoom?
    Clarity - gen2 or 3?
    Built in IR laser or flood or none?
    Budget means - less than $400, $800, ?

A $300 fixed 2x gen2 could be good if you're shooting popcorn farts inside 100yds, but if you are using a coyote round out at 300yds / or a larger caliber - the price can double or triple.
    Rimfire bolt action, possibly a bolt action .300 AAC Blackout.

Max target range 150 yards. Gen 3 clarity would be nice, but can live with Gen 2.
    Fixed power or variable, but can't imagine needing more than 6x

Weaver-style mount preferred.

Budget defined as $600-ish, but asking more about quality/first hand experiences, rather than cost.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Have you considered the digital NV now being offered ? Sionyx Black (~$700) or one of the ATN models ?

I have a Gen 3 system 6x. It is huge, heavy, sensitive and cost me $3800 at the time I bought it. It certainly works, but on a moonless night, overcast, the noise will be real bad and under those conditions one needs an illuminator. The narrow depth of field is something else most people are not aware of. You will need to re-focus from one side of a field to the other or not see anything because its simply out of focus.

I was using it for coyote on a sheep farm where there was considerable opportunity for collateral damage. Owner had huge black cart horses, that were usually embedded in thickets. Also owners dogs running around doing their own thing, not to mention sheep of course. A thermal unit would have been much better for the job because it is not defeated by cover to nearly the same extent. If a coyote came out to the edge of a field but was sitting in the moon or starlight shadow of a hedge row, I was still going to have a helluva time seeing him with the gen 3. With thermal that would be completely different. At the time (ca 2011) I would have had to spend at least $8500 on a thermal scope compared to the gen 3 and that was too much.

If I was you I would first look at the new digital NV from a few of the reputable names and after that consider thermal next. Remember you can use thermal or digital NV in full daylight in fog or smoke. Dont try that with regular NV equipment.

Back when I lived in Texas and hogs were tearing up large swaths of feed plots and crops, I ventured into the NV realm. Everything was expensive and heavy as hell.
    I went through a bunch of different brands for one reason or another. ATN, NightOwl, Pulsar, ATG, clip-ons, etc.

I currently have a Sightmark Wraith 4k Max on my 'yote gun. It eats batteries like a fat kid, but it is solid. Holds zero on a .308 and .270 WSM - not my standard night-time rounds, but you can use it during the day as well.
    I can say that digital NV scopes seem, to me, to work better from 200-250yds in. And you get digital zoom too, not just standard magnification.
    You definitely want IR illumination.

I would also say look at low magnification for 150 yards. Even at 6x fixed its like looking through a straw... 3x or 4x is better and would likely be more compact.

Quote Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
    I would also say look at low magnification for 150 yards. Even at 6x fixed its like looking through a straw... 3x or 4x is better and would likely be more compact.
    Agree. I got a good deal on a 5-20 ATN X-sight and really wish I'd of went with the 3-12 ATN because of shorter ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    Back when I lived in Texas and hogs were tearing up large swaths of feed plots and crops, I ventured into the NV realm. Everything was expensive and heavy as hell.
    I went through a bunch of different brands for one reason or another. ATN, NightOwl, Pulsar, ATG, clip-ons, etc.

I currently have a Sightmark Wraith 4k Max on my 'yote gun. It eats batteries like a fat kid, but it is solid. Holds zero on a .308 and .270 WSM - not my standard night-time rounds, but you can use it during the day as well.
    I can say that digital NV scopes seem, to me, to work better from 200-250yds in. And you get digital zoom too, not just standard magnification.
    You definitely want IR illumination.
    I was looking hard at the Sightmark Wraith, but didn't want to order one without getting at least a little feedback from an actual user. THANK YOU!

Quote Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
    Have you considered the digital NV now being offered ? Sionyx Black (~$700) or one of the ATN models ?

I have a Gen 3 system 6x. It is huge, heavy, sensitive and cost me $3800 at the time I bought it. It certainly works, but on a moonless night, overcast, the noise will be real bad and under those conditions one needs an illuminator. The narrow depth of field is something else most people are not aware of. You will need to re-focus from one side of a field to the other or not see anything because its simply out of focus.

I was using it for coyote on a sheep farm where there was considerable opportunity for collateral damage. Owner had huge black cart horses, that were usually embedded in thickets. Also owners dogs running around doing their own thing, not to mention sheep of course. A thermal unit would have been much better for the job because it is not defeated by cover to nearly the same extent. If a coyote came out to the edge of a field but was sitting in the moon or starlight shadow of a hedge row, I was still going to have a helluva time seeing him with the gen 3. With thermal that would be completely different. At the time (ca 2011) I would have had to spend at least $8500 on a thermal scope compared to the gen 3 and that was too much.

If I was you I would first look at the new digital NV from a few of the reputable names and after that consider thermal next. Remember you can use thermal or digital NV in full daylight in fog or smoke. Dont try that with regular NV equipment.
    Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for the suggestion! Digital NV is where I was leaning towards, but I have ZERO knowledge on the subject. Feedback like yours is exactly what I'm fishing for. Danke!

Plenty of videos on Youtube of people using the Sionyx. Looks like you have to go to the pro model to get a rail mount. About $1000.