Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Who knows Luger .22 (Erma) firing issue on second shot

I'm thinking this needs a tweak somewhere.
    Erma ET 22 Navy (1969?)
    So when I cock the gun it feeds the first round into the chamber. Pull trigger and it fires. Cycles the action, ejects the spent cartridge and loads the next cartridge. Pull the trigger again and it doesn't fire. I've tried several different .22lr brands and speeds including pretty fast (1275?) ones and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
    anyone familiar with the Erma .22s? This common?
    Also maybe gunsmith recommendations in SE Michigan? Livingston Co would be great.
    I've taken her all the way down and see no obvious issues. Mag issue possibly? Thanks for any suggestions.

Screenshot_20220829-224544_Photos.jpg
    I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.

Marketplace Moderator
    Doug Jones, Gunsmith in Rochester Hills fixed my Erma lever action rifle. Would not pick up the 2nd round. He made a part and the gun was good as new. His phone number is 12488526490. He is at M59 and Crooks Rd.. Good Luck

I am a Forum User
    I have a short barrel version of that gun. It has always had feeding issues, especially with weaker .22 ammo. Mine takes fairly strong .22 ammo to fully cycle the toggle and fully re-cock the firing pin/striker.

The way you explain your problem it doesn't sound like a feeding issue as you say it does feed the next round.

You probably need to start your diagnosis by looking at the round that chambers but doesn't fire. Does it show the firing pit hit? Or a very light firing pin hit.

If it does not show a good hit then probably a weak firing pin spring or not fully going into battery.

Or, if it doesn't have any signs of the firing pin hitting the round, or a very light hit, then possibly the firing pin/striker assembly is not fully cocking during the first round firing and bolt toggle recoil cycle.

See if the 3rd round will fire if you manually (fully) cycle the toggle and manually cycle the 3rd round into the chamber. If so then it is probably short stroking. (mine will do this with weak ammo)

You might also make sure the recoil spring and it's related seat is installed in the correct direction, if that is installed backwards it can impede the toggle recoil enough to cause short stroking. Might be just enough to prevent the striker from fully cocking.
    Last edited by slingshot77; 08-30-2022 at 03:37 PM.