Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Griffin armament muzzle break not fitting

I recently purchased a Griffin Armament paladin muzzle break for my AR. It's threaded for 1/2x28, which is what i purchased, but it seems to only screw on 1/4 of the way there before getting extremely hard to twist as if it's the wrong thread type. I've confirmed that the threads on my barrel are in fact 1/2x28 with a thread pitch gauge, even the surefire procomp I purchased with the rifle is threaded in 1/2x28 and twists on just fine. I've tried just about everything I could think of to make it fit but it just will not budge. Is there something I'm missing? I feel like it should be obvious but I just don't get it. any help is greatly appreciated!

I am a Forum User
    Sounds like you have a break with a tapered thread.
    Tapered threads in general are designed to tighten up without needing to bottom out.
    Might not be the right thread type for you if it's not fitting the way you want it to.

I ran into that with a silencerco ASR hybrid mount. They have a spec length that the barrel threads are supposed to be. The barrel I was putting the brake on was over their max length, but not by the amount it wouldn't screw on. Ended up chasing the threads with a tap to make them a little deeper. You're not touching the turned barrel shoulder or the turned rear surface on the brake that seats on the barrel shoulder so any error from deepening the threads shouldn't effect the alignment enough to be an issue.

You can dykem or sharpie the barrel threads to see where the brake is rubbing on it. If it's mainly the tops of the threads towards the muzzle then deepen the threads or send it back. If it's one side of the thread "V" then its likely the wrong pitch. Don't think you'd get 1/2-36 on a 1/2-28 as far as you are though.
    Last edited by Moleman-; 09-13-2022 at 08:38 AM.