Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Michigan based youtube channel, visiting bear creek ballistics for 350 stuff/450 stuff. What do you guys hear about their ammo ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoyBnmqRM28

channel seems like a good follow. The rifles are a bit pricey but probably not a bad price for custom stuff.

What I was interested in was their in house ammo.

Anyone used it ?

Its probably fancier than I need I do not hunt at a great distance but still like to try to stretch my stuff out and see what it can do.

https://bearcreekballistics.com/

https://bearcreekballistics.com/prod...nd-ammunition/

I am a Forum User
    I have been using the Bear Creek Ballistics 285gr Copper
    450BM for many years,
    Excellent Bolt gun only rds, very accurate & flattens bucks @ over 300yds...
    Great guys as well, I live on Kazoo, pretty close to them.
    Last edited by sparkman10mm; 10-02-2022 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmcgirt76239 View Post
    What I was interested in was their in house ammo.

Anyone used it ?

Its probably fancier than I need I do not hunt at a great distance but still like to try to stretch my stuff out and see what it can do.
    You'll be wasting money then on niche-copper monolith rounds. Which are lighter (no lead) so need to be longer to make up for the weight reduction.

A standard factory 245gr 450BM brand X bullet length is .848"... and doesn't differ much from brand X to Y to Z.
    Their (bear creek) shortest 240gr 450BM bullet length is .970″ (for AR loads) and their 240gr 450BM for bolt actions bullet length is 1.15″.

All of the bear creek AUR ammo exceeds the current (350 or 450) maximum COAL - probably why there are statements sprinkled everywhere in their literature regarding possibly not fitting in mags, etc. The heavier the monolith bullet the longer the COAL.

Longer rounds require higher twist rates than what you probably have in your rifle (let's say you have a standard 1:16 18" barrel that is already good out to one-shot kills @200yds easily, but you want to shoot one-shot kills out past 400 [enter the copper monolith] you'd need to spin it faster at say a 1:7 or 1:8 to keep that same impact energy [from a factory load at 200yds] at the longer 400yd distance).
    It's standard ballistics and you can't 'splain it away or change the way physics or math works.
    A longer barrel bolt gun, let's say 22" barrel, may only need a 1:10 twist to benefit from extending the range to double what the round was originally intended to be used for.

But hey, I'm just a guy with a keyboard - what do I really know anyway, right?

I do know that when I shoot game, all that matters is it ends up in my belly.
    If a standard round at less than half the price will do the trick humanely - I don't care about exit holes you can drive a bus through.
    You usually end up wasting a bunch of meat for no reason other than being able to say - "Holy Sheet! You shot the whole shoulder out the other side! Look, it's a 3-legged deer now!"

Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    You'll be wasting money then on niche-copper monolith rounds. Which are lighter (no lead) so need to be longer to make up for the weight reduction.

A standard factory 245gr 450BM brand X bullet length is .848"... and doesn't differ much from brand X to Y to Z.
    Their (bear creek) shortest 240gr 450BM bullet length is .970″ (for AR loads) and their 240gr 450BM for bolt actions bullet length is 1.15″.
    I hear ya. Not trying to be overly fancy. I currently only hunt at one cousins cabin up north, other cousins inlaws, in the thumb. This new 350 open up hunting deer in the thumb, previously I was bow season only.

All of the bear creek AUR ammo exceeds the current (350 or 450) maximum COAL - probably why there are statements sprinkled everywhere in their literature regarding possibly not fitting in mags, etc. The heavier the monolith bullet the longer the COAL.
    I think I saw that somewhere else. That’s fine as long as they chamber hand loading one at a time.

Longer rounds require higher twist rates than what you probably have in your rifle (let's say you have a standard 1:16 18" barrel that is already good out to one-shot kills @200yds easily, but you want to shoot one-shot kills out past 400 [enter the copper monolith] you'd need to spin it faster at say a 1:7 or 1:8 to keep that same impact energy [from a factory load at 200yds] at the longer 400yd distance).
    It's standard ballistics and you can't 'splain it away or change the way physics or math works.
    A longer barrel bolt gun, let's say 22" barrel, may only need a 1:10 twist to benefit from extending the range to double what the round was originally intended to be used for.
    I have a heavy barrel 18 inch barrel. 110 hog hunter.

But hey, I'm just a guy with a keyboard - what do I really know anyway, right?

I do know that when I shoot game, all that matters is it ends up in my belly.
    If a standard round at less than half the price will do the trick humanely - I don't care about exit holes you can drive a bus through.
    You usually end up wasting a bunch of meat for no reason other than being able to say - "Holy Sheet! You shot the whole shoulder out the other side! Look, it's a 3-legged deer now!"
    I agree for the most part, but the video was saying it ended range to 300 yards. So if I hunt a new area, that opens up some opportunities to be dead on at 300 with good velocity still.