Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Illinois laws are way looser than I thought

So, apparently, basically anyone can roll through the state with a gun in their car. Check out section 40 subsection e. This is less strict than Michigan, right? I also couldn't find any extra restrictions for driving through the city od Chicago.

I just thought it was interesting because I've always heard that Illinois and Chicago in particular have draconian gun laws but it appears more lax in this specific scenario.

https://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/do...3000660K40.htm

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a

firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under

the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
    (Source: P.A. 102-538, ***. 8-20-21.)

Doesn't FOPA cover most of this apart from the magazine restrictions in some city/county/states and whether mags can be loaded?
    As long as they are not easily reachable by the driver or passengers and mags aren't loaded, I thought you were pretty much safe as long as you were going through the state and not stopping apart from food/gas. Just make sure the mag capacity laws aren't going to bite you.
    But, more a question for the legal forum.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    Doesn't FOPA cover most of this apart from the magazine restrictions in some city/county/states and whether mags can be loaded?
    As long as they are not easily reachable by the driver or passengers and mags aren't loaded, I thought you were pretty much safe as long as you were going through the state and not stopping apart from food/gas. Just make sure the mag capacity laws aren't going to bite you.
    But, more a question for the legal forum.
    My understanding was that they could be carried loaded in the vehicle. I didn't realize there was a legal forum, maybe I'll post there.

https://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a

firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under
    That how I read it. You just can't get out of your vehicle with it on your person. Must be locked in a case.

Yes, if you have a permit and not getting out of your vehicle/RV you can have any magazine. If you don't, Federal transportation laws apply. As I have read.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

Quote Originally Posted by XDM 40 cal View Post
    https://handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

That how I read it. You just can't get out of your vehicle with it on your person. Must be locked in a case.

Yes, if you have a permit and not getting out of your vehicle/RV you can have any magazine. If you don't, Federal transportation laws apply. As I have read.
    I seem to recall a PA Resident getting arrested and charged when driving through NY and was pulled over. She told the LEO she had a concealed carry from PA and was carrying. The charge was having a standard capacity Glock magazine. And apparently this isn’t an isolated incident.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

I seem to recall a PA Resident getting arrested and charged when driving through NY and was pulled over. She told the LEO she had a concealed carry from PA and was carrying. The charge was having a standard capacity Glock magazine. And apparently this isn’t an isolated incident.
    Shaneen Allen?: https://www.nj.com/atlantic/2014/08/...in_prison.html
    https://www.nj.com/politics/2017/12/...nge_to_us.html

Yep, I stand corrected- NJ not NY

Yep, she told the police as she did that on her own. PA, you do not have to inform an officer. I'm only guess she told the NJ police out of fear.?
    Must Inform Officer Immediately on Contact By Law? “NO”I can’t find any mention of even having to carry your permit while carrying in NJ Statutes or Administrative Rules. Being NJ I would not carry without having my permit in my possession
    [QUOTE]Illinois's Magazine Capacity Restriction

There are no magazine restrictions in the state of Illinois, with a few local exceptions. [/QUOTE]
    Magazine Capacity Restriction in Illinois (gunlaws101.com)
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.