Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any opinions on this Cabela's scope for ar-15?

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/fire...24-rifle-scope

Thank you

I particularly like the horseshoe dot

MGO Member
    If it is just for a "range toy", you wouldn't be out much on that testicle Chinese scope.

We all know it is hard to get something for nothing.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

I am a Forum User
    Firefield has a 3 year warranty, whereas the Bushnell AR scope on the same Cabela's page has a lifetime/ 30 year warranty

No experience with this one in particular, but I did pick up a 1-8x a few years ago for $300 when 1-8x were going for quite a lot more. It’s the first scope I’ve had with nasty chromatic aberration. The scope is still clear, but at 8x there’s a lot of color bleed happening. No idea if this one will do the same, but it’s something to think about. Cheap glass is cheap for a reason.

That said, for $150 I might try it out. Worst case is you return it later.

I guess my first question is why scope it? Hunting? I have personally come to the conclusion that for my particular situation an unmagnified red dot is a good option. Self defense is my primary use. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmann1967 View Post
    I guess my first question is why scope it? Hunting? I have personally come to the conclusion that for my particular situation an unmagnified red dot is a good option. Self defense is my primary use. Just curious.

I’ve actually moved away from optics entirely with AR’s. Even my Gucci AR is a carry handle, and it’s more than adequate. But that’s just me…I find it more fun and still plenty utilitarian. The only glass I’m running is on my .308’s, and even still they’re just 1-4x and 1-8x.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmann1967 View Post
    just thinking a little magnification might help w/ right eye re: after cataract surgery result some years ago.

MGO Member
    Cataract did not go well?

2 yrs today on right and 23 months on left, glad I did it, every weapon I have that's scoped had to be readjusted and sighted back in for the new vision, before hand could not even pass the " how many fingers am I holding up" test

Quote Originally Posted by PeeDee View Post
    just thinking a little magnification might help w/ right eye re: after cataract surgery result some years ago.
    You're looking at the wrong type of scope to help you.

Prismatic magnification should be nearer what you want.
    Green vs red color dot generally seem to help more people. (no, I'm not saying no to the red dot suggestion, just referring to the color of the dot)
    Or at least the ability to adjust parallax as well, instead of a fixed parallax at say 100 yards. Think old school AO or focus ring scopes that you set and locked in during sighting that you can now adjust on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    You're looking at the wrong type of scope to help you.

Prismatic magnification should be nearer what you want.
    Green vs red color dot generally seem to help more people. (no, I'm not saying no to the red dot suggestion, just referring to the color of the dot)
    Or at least the ability to adjust parallax as well, instead of a fixed parallax at say 100 yards. Think old school AO or focus ring scopes that you set and locked in during sighting that you can now adjust on the fly.
    I have an older 1 /34 redfield and a 1-5 original Jap Tasco in new condition that work fine for me. Just not what I wanted.

THe problem with the R eye is that the doctor made it focus @ shorter 'reading distance' while the L eye focuses someplace south of Tierra del Fuego for distance. I could get glasses to take up the slight difference but that would be less than optimum IMO.

That's how ophthalmologists did it in the old days so, in effect, both my eyes don't focus in the same plane except @ certain limited range of distances. (Today the can implant lenses with tri-focal capability!)

Not bad for handgun or iron sights, but would not work for both-eyes shooting.

Not really critical - was just 'thinking.'

Thank you

I'll find something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast