Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Thoughts on 1936 Clemen & Jung restoration (buba’d)

I recently inherited a 1936 Clemen & Jung after the passing of my grandfather. His father owned a number of firearms, and this was a part of that lot. Unfortunately it found its way to the family farm, and someone took a power tool to it to sharpen it. Maybe recently (cousins), or maybe my great grandfather did it before his passing in the 60’s. In any case, it’s buba’d up pretty good, and is obvious it sat on a shelf in the barn for decades. Any value other than sentimental is totally lost.

My thought is to disassemble the scales, use fine grit sandpaper to remove the tool marks on the blade working down to a polishing compound, and doing the same to the surface rusted pommel, scabbard, and hardware. IF I were to do this, would using a cold blue solution (Birchwood Casey Perma Blue) give a decent finish on such a large area? I’ve only ever used Perma Blue to touch up parts before, never to completely reblue.

Second option is to only sand and polish the buba’d bevel of the blade and leave the rest alone.

Third option is to just put it in a drawer and forget about it until my son inherits it (or sells it in an estate sale)

There would be no practical use for such a large, now kitchen knife sharp, bayonet. Even while camping I rarely ever use my Glock knife which is a very similar profile, and a dirt cheap disposable tool. Simply a project.

I'm not a huge fan of Birchwood Casey bluing, but have used Brownell's Oxpho-Blue to completely blue several old shotguns and the results were impressive.
    Regardless of which product you use, the results are largely dictated by the quality of your prep work. Work slow, methodically, patiently, and you will get gorgeous results.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

Quote Originally Posted by RifleGuy View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of Birchwood Casey bluing, but have used Brownell's Oxpho-Blue to completely blue several old shotguns and the results were impressive.
    Regardless of which product you use, the results are largely dictated by the quality of your prep work. Work slow, methodically, patiently, and you will get gorgeous results.
    In regards to prep, what level of uniform finishing should I aim for? Should I be working multiple stages of paper down do varying polishes to achieve a mirror finish? Or should I be stopping at more of a matte finish for the blue to penetrate better?

I’ve had some experience, with good results, working down to a mirror finish on other bubba’d items. I’ve never tried to blue afterwards though.

Marketplace Moderator
    Personally....I would leave it with the family story. The value was gone when they sharpened it.