Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

S&W 12ga Semi-auto shotgun mdl 1000

My cousin has a S&W 12ga Semi-auto shotgun mdl 1000 that he bought in 1982 and he was wondering if the shotgun could take more than 3 rounds. He as looking at my Mossberg & saw the magazine tube restrictor for hunting. He wondered if there was something that could be removed to increase the capacity of the shotgun.

I know nothing about this model shotgun so I thought someone here might know.

Jim

I am a Forum User
    Yes, Pull the pin #28 in the diagram below, but I think you will only gain one additional round. I purchased mine used at Jays in 1998, it's a beautiful gun with no scratches. I used it for a few years for grouse and woodcock, so I had to leave the pin in place as woodcock are migratory birds. Disregard the yellow highlighter, that was for my purpose years ago, not for yours.

Last edited by gman; 10-14-2022 at 04:01 PM.

This was a relatively short run shotgun. The Model 1000's ran from 1973-85, and Mossberg picked it up in 1985 for a bit longer (still a model 1000).
    They were made by Howa Machinery, a Japanese company, and imported by S&W and Mossberg.
    The receiver had some pretty nice filigree or scroll-work engraving on it for such a low cost everyday bird hunter's gun.

On to your direct question:
    These shotguns (any model variant or manufacturer) have a metal "Capacity Reducing Pin" that runs right to left (or laterally) THROUGH the magazine tube. Instead of a dowel plug in the tube.
    With the pin installed, the tube capacity is 2 2¾ shells (Federal migratory bird limit). Removing the pin gives you one extra 2¾ shell making it a total of 3 in the tube.
    So total capacity, 2+1 with pin and 3+1 without.

The pin is #39 in the diagram

LOL. It took forever for my image to upload. But there you have it OP, same info just different diagram numbers.

And gman, I know exactly why you have those parts highlighted. It's no fun having a "single-shot autoloader".

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    LOL.
    I know exactly why you have those parts highlighted. It's no fun having a "single-shot autoloader".

lol, yep, those O-rings turn into a soft mushy goo after a while. I found a place in Texas that had a boat load of them so I bought ten but my gun has become a safe queen since the early 90's. I retired this year, sounds like a good time to get back out upland bird hunting again!

Thanks to everyone for the help. My cousin thought it was a different pin I'm glad he didn't try to get that one out. He wasn't happy about only getting one extra round into the chamber but that's the way it was designed.

I am a Forum User
    What are these rings you are referring to? My dad was just talking about his the other day because it has sat for years untouched because it dose not load properly.

Joe

Piston shock absorber and washer. Turns to gooey sticky mush over time by itself, or especially if exposed to solvents.
    Can gunk up all the parts around it; mag follower, mag spring, piston, etc. Can even stop the gas pressure compensator valve from functioning properly.
    If the gas system ist kaputt...no auto-load.

Cheap easy fix, just takes some time cleaning all the goo out.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    Piston shock absorber and washer. Turns to gooey sticky mush over time by itself, or especially if exposed to solvents.
    Can gunk up all the parts around it; mag follower, mag spring, piston, etc. Can even stop the gas pressure compensator valve from functioning properly.
    If the gas system ist kaputt...no auto-load.

Cheap easy fix, just takes some time cleaning all the goo out.
    Sounds like you were the one to clean my gun when this happened. lol In my defense, I was only 25 and it was my first auto, and I was also hunting with non-auto loading gun owners so no forewarning. But lesson learned, and those lessons learned have not been forgotten!