Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

View Poll Results: Which caliber would you steer someone toward for deer hunting?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • .270 Win

4 4.82%
  • .25-06

1 1.20%
  • .350 Legend

14 16.87%
  • .300 BLK

1 1.20%
  • .280 Rem

1 1.20%
  • .223/.556

1 1.20%
  • .30-06

23 27.71%
  • 6.5 Creedmoor

6 7.23%

19 22.89%
  • .450 Bushmaster

5 6.02%
  • .30-30

3 3.61%
  • .300 Win Mag

2 2.41%
  • 7mm Rem. Mag.

3 3.61%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

Deer Rifle Caliber

I just read an interesting article on the popularity of new deer hunting caliber purchases.

Your neighbor/cousin/niece/nephew/coworker wants to start firearm deer hunting.

They have asked you to go shopping with them to buy a good rifle. Open checkbook.

You have no idea if their newfound passion will be for just for Michigan or expand to other states.

What caliber do you steer them toward?

I could only put up 13 choices.
    If you have one that didn't make the list, please post it up!
    Last edited by Jackam; 10-19-2022 at 09:48 AM.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    6.5 Creedmoor. You can take a deer up close or as far as you are confident in taking a shot.

If you are into self-abuse, a .270 WSM would work but not needed. I prefer both to .30 caliber as both are flatter shooting.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    243 Winchester

MGO Member
    .35 Remington

I am a Forum User
    .350 Legend as that's what I'm currently building a AR in for the hope I get out this year.

MGO Member
    44 mag!

MGO Member
    The old 25-06.

The wife has a .556.

MGO Member
    Gotta say I'm split between the 30-30 and the 30.06

One of the things that I look for is how easy it is to get ammo for my selected firearm. Up till the great ammo shortage we are now living through you could almost always find ammo for those two at almost every gun shop, sporting goods store, and gas station that sold hunting licenses anywhere up north.

The poll didn't mention if they were hunting the limited zone or not, so I went with the assumption that the area they're hunting wasn't restricted and picked 30-06. I like my 444 marlin, 30-30, 308 and probably dozen other deer capable chamberings I have but the 30-06 has always been my top choice.

Now if they're in the limited zone there are only two choices (350L and 450BM) on that poll and my question would be do you want more or less recoil. I have both and prefer the 450BM, but since it's not what I want I'd take them out and let them shoot both. One of my hunting buddies borrowed one of my 450BM rifles for a season a couple years ago. When he brought it back he asked about the 350L so I let him shoot one. He ended up with a 350L and he is a bigger guy than me but doesn't like recoil.

I am a Forum User
    Good ol fashioned 12ga

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast