Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

View Poll Results: Which caliber would you steer someone toward for deer hunting?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • .270 Win

4 4.82%
  • .25-06

1 1.20%
  • .350 Legend

14 16.87%
  • .300 BLK

1 1.20%
  • .280 Rem

1 1.20%
  • .223/.556

1 1.20%
  • .30-06

23 27.71%
  • 6.5 Creedmoor

6 7.23%

19 22.89%
  • .450 Bushmaster

5 6.02%
  • .30-30

3 3.61%
  • .300 Win Mag

2 2.41%
  • 7mm Rem. Mag.

3 3.61%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Well since you asked more about a new hunter over what I personally prefer to use, I would have to say the .350L. I don't know of any state it can't be used in, can reach out to 150 yards without much of an issue, very low recoil, and can be had in bolt gun or semi-auto.

My personal rifle is a .45 Raptor on my LR-308.

MGO Member
    Kinda depends where they plan to hunt. 350L sounds wise for people wanting to hunt everywhere with one rifle. For northern hunting only, 243, 6.5CM, 6ARC, 6.5G, and the like might be a good starting point for a new hunter/new shooter.

Since you specified that I don't know where they'll be hunting, I selected 350 Legend since it's usable everywhere you can use a rifle, and is not too hard to find. If I knew they wouldn't be hunting restricted areas, then I would have selected 308 (or either 223 or 243, if they're recoil-shy) for the sake of availability, affordability, efficiency, and number of different available firearms. But really, any of the listed options would be fine.

MGO Member
    308 rules. Ammo everywhere. Never had a deer go more than 50 yards. Most have been “dropped” and I am a small guy. Recoil not bad.
    I shoot lever actions with magazines but 308 in an auto loader would really have minimal recoil. Second choice, 30-30, 243.

If it was my neighbor/cousin/niece/nephew/coworker, I would work to find out as much as I could about things like recoil sensitivity and prior skill levels. Then I would point him toward a rifle cartridge combination and take him to the range. Try to get the choice to fit the person.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Member
    Yes. I answered incorrectly.

I think any of the above listed will be fine. Most will have a big bulky jacket on and will absorb some recoil from the larger on the list.

My biggest when I started; Heck it still is. The noise. Everyone should be allowed a soup can muffler.

I prefer wood furniture. It's a lot warmer than an all metal AR anyday.

I am a Forum User
    AR platform. 350L or 450BM upper for below the line, 6.5 Grendel above the line. 223 / 556 whatever upper for general blasting.

that said - I just finished profiling a spare HVY palma barrel and setting back the tenon and 308 chamber to fit my SA 700 that only ever sees the light of day during the 2nd week of deer camp.

MGO Member
    two classics:
    >.358 Winchester
    >Hotter 45/70 in a strong action
    You have been infected by the Amish Virus. Since the Amish have neither electricity nor computers, you are on the honor system. Please format your hard drive. Thank you

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat12 View Post
    two classics:
    >.358 Winchester
    >Hotter 45/70 in a strong action
    For a new shooter? Sounds like a great way to make someone recoil shy, especially a younger new shooter.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    For a new shooter? Sounds like a great way to make someone recoil shy, especially a younger new shooter.
    I agree. With the newer, higher performing bullets, you can go one or two sizes smaller in cartridges to get the same performance. My first deer rifle was a 7mm mag and I went through several more and ended up with a 243 and never felt undergunned.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast