Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Requirement to buy a rifle for ‘Green card’ holder?

Hi guys.
    I’ve researching the legitimacy of buying rifle for a while, and just want to make sure I do understand things correctly.

My status: Green card holder (issued ~5months ago), lived in Michigan ~ 4 yrs, Planning to purchase AR-15 (probably DDM4 V7).

1. Is it legal to buy a long gun (rifle)?
    - Based on my research, looks like the answer is yea?
    2. Any extra documentation required?
    - Will the Green card, passport, driver’s license enough?
    3. Do I need hunting license?
    - Hunting safety course is pain in the ass. Written test is already passed, but The field class hold too far away from my home and hard to schedule.

I once went to a gun shop and told me to just bring the driver’s license and all I need is to have a NICS background check. Is this true? No need to report to police that I possess a gun?

I’ve already finished my initial build with DDM4V7, Eotech red dot + 3x scope, a sand bag for a range and zeroing, cleaning kit, two point sling, etc.

All I need to figure out is that am I actually legally allowed to buy a gun.
    Please, if you have a recent or prior experience, help me figure out.

Thanks.

I am a Forum User
    As a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) of the US, you can legally own firearms, not just rifles.

You will likely have to have utility bills showing that you have lived at the same address for 90 days. There is a possibility that you may get a long (illegal) delay from the WV division of the FBI on the background check. I have had delays as long as 3 months. You need to work with an FFL who follows the law and will escalate within the FBI (demand to speak to a supervisor) if they try this stunt. Most gun stores will just cancel your transaction if there is any kind of delay with the FBI that goes on for more than a few days. If there are restocking fees watch out.

I suggest you be strategic and pick a FFL who is going to hold up your sde of the deal first, then buy online and have it shipped to that specific FFL. Then if WV try to give you a hard time they will get it right back.

Scary.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

Quote Originally Posted by taewon3511 View Post
    I once went to a gun shop and told me to just bring the driver’s license and all I need is to have a NICS background check. Is this true?
    NO.
    Bring your drivers license AND your green card (need the USICS# from the GC for the 4473).

No need to report to police that I possess a gun?
    Nope. I assume you're talking about registration - which only quasi applies to pistols (sale records).

Do I need hunting license?
    - Hunting safety course is pain in the ass. Written test is already passed, but The field class hold too far away from my home and hard to schedule.
    If you want to hunt you can get an apprentice license (twice max lifetime) without completing the hunter safety. You'll just need to be with someone who has a valid license.