Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MGO Member

Bad batch of ammo

Just wanted to spread some info out here about a recent incident I had with a brand new box of ammo.
    It was a international company and I had purchased 2 boxes of their .223 ammo which was on sale a local shop. Took pistol and ammo to local range and sure enough the first shell blew up and destroyed my gun.
    I sent the gun back to the manufacturer along with photos, and my explanation of what happened for them to inspect in case there was some type of unknown flaw in the gun. They reported back to me within 3 days of receiving the gun that the cause was from what they called a CCF. (cartridge case failure)
    I am currently awaiting for this report in writing so that I can contact the manufacturer of the ammo to try to get them to replace my gun.
    As soon as I hear back from them I will explain more in a public setting.
    STAY TUNED (If anyone has had a similar experience and can recommend some legal course of action it would be greatly appreciated)

I am a Forum User
    I would have expected you to post the brand / manufacturer of the ammo that you posted about..
    include lot #, if it's on the box..so anyone having the same ammo doesn't share your bad experience.

OP left out the most important info. Your gun is destroyed and that sucks, but it sounds like you escaped without major injury. The next person may not be so lucky! Post the manufacturer, lot number and where you purchased the ammo!
    Lighten up Francis.

I thought this was another my gun blew up thread - you guys may have already caught on to it though, this is the same Springfield Saint in the other thread.
    https://www.migunowners.org/forum/sh...ight-direction

Jack (OP),
    joe and Tom make a great point - posting the brand, lot number, etc would definitely be a great service to your fellow shooters here. It doesn't really matter to me what store you bought the ammo at (although I could probably guess out of the 3 box stores). Are you sure you bought .223rem, or could it have been 5.56x45 third world repackaged surplus? (potentially an even bigger than the existing delta pressures between quality 223 vs 5.56) Not saying that's something that should cause your forged 7075 upper/lower to come apart, but the thicker case wall on a NATO round can and has exceeded the .223 max SAAMI pressure.
    ...I'm starting to get off point here...

I had a kaboom with “imported’ ammo before. Case head separation. The gun, a FAL, worked as designed and vented the gas down and out the magazine well blowing apart the magazine.

It was Tula, and it was absolutely overcharged.

The importer was notified, and all I ever received was a “we’ll look into it”.

MGO Member
    Ammo that blew up in my gun was as follows. Fiocchi Ammunition Exacta Rifle Match, Loaded with Sierra Matchking Bullets 20 Centerfire Rifle cartridges. Retail Price was $21.99 per box. Caliber was 223MKC 69 grs. MatchKing HPBT. There are no lot numbers located anywhere on the box. On the box it states that they exercise extreme care in the manufacture of there cartridges but assume no further responsibility...............

Sorry I can't be more helpful but at least now the company name is out there.
    I will have to commend Springfield Armory tho. My initial one year warranty was past by about 3 months and they offered to replace with another hand gun of my choice out of their current inventory at no charge.
    They say they are discontinuing the manufacture of the Saint Pistol so that option was not offered.

I just hate the thought of letting Fiocchi off the hook unscathed.
    Thx for listening to me vent.

I am a Forum User
    Wow.. I have been shooting some Fiocchi 7.62 X 39 factory loads I bought some time ago.
    I'm more than a little surprised that the ammo company expressed that attitude, after destroying your firearm.
    Glad you weren't injured, & it's great S/A is willing to offer you a replacement firearm, @ N/C...
    ( I'd see if you could get one of their 1911's..)

Quote Originally Posted by jack1943 View Post
    Ammo that blew up in my gun was as follows. Fiocchi Ammunition Exacta Rifle Match, Loaded with Sierra Matchking Bullets 20 Centerfire Rifle cartridges. Retail Price was $21.99 per box. Caliber was 223MKC 69 grs. MatchKing HPBT. There are no lot numbers located anywhere on the box. On the box it states that they exercise extreme care in the manufacture of there cartridges but assume no further responsibility...............

Sorry I can't be more helpful but at least now the company name is out there.
    I will have to commend Springfield Armory tho. My initial one year warranty was past by about 3 months and they offered to replace with another hand gun of my choice out of their current inventory at no charge.
    They say they are discontinuing the manufacture of the Saint Pistol so that option was not offered.

I just hate the thought of letting Fiocchi off the hook unscathed.
    Thx for listening to me vent.

Double check you end flaps for a slightly embossed lot number, it has to be there somewhere.
    Fiocchi is produced under CIP guidance and should have the number. I’d try contacting them again and S&W as well. The 1st thing any company does when things go shouts is look for places to point fingers whether right or not. If they keep ignoring you you might want to have an attorney send them a letter explaining how you don’t plan on dropping this..
    1 thing I would not do is give the box of ammo to anyone until someone starts excepting possible blame
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Fiocchi is a top level producer of ammo, but any ammunition manufacturer can have a bad batch. Contact them! The may need to initiate a recall.
    Lighten up Francis.

Weigh each cartridge. An overcharge will show up.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast