Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

In Memoriam Forum User

Trijicon / Tritium Concerns and Shortcommings?

I've been considering a Trijicon scope that does not require batteries to work. I've been looking at the ACOG and the AccuPoint series. I fully understand how they function both in ambient light and no light situations.

Here is my main concern. What happens to your illumination if you are inside a structure that is dark, but your target is outside in the bright daylight? Obviously the Trijicon method of collecting ambient light would not work at all inside a dark environment. Added to that it doesn't appear the Tritium method of producing light would not be bright enough to overcome the bright daylight if your target is outside the dark structure in the bright daylight. So if I understand all of this correctly I would not get enough illumination to make the illuminated reticle inside the scope work as advertised. Is this why Trijicon has been adding more and more battery powered options over the years than previously available?

That being said, I've started comparing the battery powered Trijicon scopes and compared them with what Vortex has to offer. The price difference between the two can be substantial. Is there any advantage to pay more for Trijicon's over Vortex? What are the Pro's and Con's?

Thanks!
    Last edited by VIGILANT; 11-07-2022 at 12:07 PM.

Having used a Trijicon ACOG in somewhat comparable conditions you describe, you don't need to worry about the difference in light.
    Whether it was shooting from a blacked out room or a darkened heavily camo-netted OP looking out at targets in full daylight the chevron was still crisp and clear (not super bright, or too bright). I think that's what you are asking. "will it be like a manual brightness turned way up or down?" In the examples I gave above, if it was a manual brightness adjustment - I would have bumped it maybe 1, max 2, clicks to be absolutely perfect brightness on the target.

I have no experience with Vortex in those situations.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    Having used a Trijicon ACOG in somewhat comparable conditions you describe, you don't need to worry about the difference in light.
    Whether it was shooting from a blacked out room or a darkened heavily camo-netted OP looking out at targets in full daylight the chevron was still crisp and clear (not super bright, or too bright). I think that's what you are asking. "will it be like a manual brightness turned way up or down?" In the examples I gave above, if it was a manual brightness adjustment - I would have bumped it maybe 1, max 2, clicks to be absolutely perfect brightness on the target.

I have no experience with Vortex in those situations.
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm only considering the Vortex if I opt for the battery powered option. I'm not sure if I'd benefit from the extra cost of the Trijicon battery powered scopes.

That's what I was talking about - the Trijicon, no battery, tritium/fiber /\ chevron reticle ACOG.

I misread your post as "aimpoint" not the Trijicon accupoint.

If you're comparing a Trijicon accupoint to an illuminated Vortex strikeagle - I'd pick the Vortex hands down, every day. I have tried both, and the Vortex seems clearer and more refined than the trijicon.
    Neither are bad choices, but for the extra clarity (even though it uses batteries) - I'd still look harder at the Vortex and see if the extra couple hundred dollars is worth no-batteries and Name recognition.
    I shoot 'yotes, woodchuck and possum from inside a dark barn out into a field (bean/corn depending on rotation) with a strike eagle. The illuminated reticle helps a ton on small dark colored targets when shooting from dark to full light. A regular crosshair gets a little lost on brown to darker colored game unless you're holding over for windage.
    Last edited by MCPO_SOCM_RET; 11-07-2022 at 08:25 AM.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO_SOCM_RET View Post
    That's what I was talking about - the Trijicon, no battery, tritium/fiber /\ chevron reticle ACOG.

I misread your post as "aimpoint" not the Trijicon accupoint.

If you're comparing a Trijicon accupoint to an illuminated Vortex strikeagle - I'd pick the Vortex hands down, every day. I have tried both, and the Vortex seems clearer and more refined than the trijicon.
    Neither are bad choices, but for the extra clarity (even though it uses batteries) - I'd still look harder at the Vortex and see if the extra couple hundred dollars is worth no-batteries and Name recognition.
    I shoot 'yotes, woodchuck and possum from inside a dark barn out into a field (bean/corn depending on rotation) with a strike eagle. The illuminated reticle helps a ton on small dark colored targets when shooting from dark to full light. A regular crosshair gets a little lost on brown to darker colored game unless you're holding over for windage.

Thanks for clarifying!

Bill

In Memoriam Forum User
    Looks like Trijicon themselves were aware of the issues with the ACOG's under certain lighting conditions. They now have an "LED" series of ACOG's! I wonder what took so long?

https://www.trijicon.com/search2/?keywords=led

ACOG1.jpg

ACOG2.jpg

If it LVPO I went with Primary Arms. 1-8x24 and 1-10x28 Both have 2032 battery, and they are etched reticle so if you lose battery, you can still use.

JM2C.
    NRA Life member, NRARSO, Howell Gun Club member, MDFI Alum 2019 & 2020, 2023 GOA Life Member. MGO life member.

MGO Member
    I’ve seen some people complain about this with ACOGs and some meprolight optics. I have a TA44, in a situation like that it’s not the ideal brightness but it’s still useable. I could still see a very dim outline of the circle dot reticle.