Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

MGO Member

Colt SAA First Generation

I am interested in picking up a first generation Colt SAA, preferably a later 1920s-1941 version in shooter-grade condition. What are these things worth in a person-to-person sale? I have looked at GB and other online sources, but I am assuming those prices are a bit high, based on experience buying/selling other firearm types locally.

MGO Member
    seen a few at local gunshows in the 5k range.

MGO Member
    Way too many variables, to just say "First Gen Colt SAA".
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    Way too many variables, to just say "First Gen Colt SAA".
    Understandable.

Looking at past sales data, you see $1900-9900+ prices, based on distinctions that are not clear to a non-collector of SAAs.

My goal would be to pick up the SAA you'd walk into a store and buy in the early 1920s. I'd suspect, but cannot confirm, that this would be a less costly piece, all things equal, than an 1890s version of the same, right?

MGO Member
    Standard or Bisley frame, caliber, barrel length, factory finish, condition, condition, condition, etc.

Are you looking for an investment or something you can shoot? I am guessing investment since you specify first gen.

You really need to decide which type SSA you are looking for, then research that item. Prices are going up every month.

Good luck.
    Stop The Robberies Enjoy Safe Streets / You can't argue with slaves that don't know they're shackled.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.41 View Post
    Standard or Bisley frame, caliber, barrel length, factory finish, condition, condition, condition, etc.

Are you looking for an investment or something you can shoot? I am guessing investment since you specify first gen.

You really need to decide which type SSA you are looking for, then research that item. Prices are going up every month.

Good luck.
    Thanks.

My thought would be a regular frame shooter (occasional shooter, not heavy rotation!) in 38-40 44-40, or 45LC. Blued (when new). Barrel length doesn't really matter for my purposes, 4.75, 5.5, 7.5, whatever. First gen is just preference and for historic significance. A collector/shooter, I guess you could call it.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsten View Post
    Thanks.

My thought would be a regular frame shooter (occasional shooter, not heavy rotation!) in 38-40 44-40, or 45LC. Blued (when new). Barrel length doesn't really matter for my purposes, 4.75, 5.5, 7.5, whatever. First gen is just preference and for historic significance. A collector/shooter, I guess you could call it.
    First gens are not cheap. Ones that need complete rebuilding (not safe to shoot) are over $2k. More common calibers demand a premium as well (those are the common 1st gen)

MGO Member
    More homework is needed to tell a black powder 1st generation from a smokeless powder 1st generation, since you want to be able to shoot it. Look at production numbers during the depression leading up to WWII-very few guns made then which increases their value. Join the Colt Forum and read all the posts you can in the SAA section.

You need to build up your knowledge base some more to keep you from making a purchase that you later regret.

They are great revolvers to learn about! Mine is a 1958 version in 45 Colt, which means it is an early second generation. It's a shooter!

I should also mention that I came close to buying a different 2d generation SAA in 45 Colt. The dealer said it was all original and sent me a number of photos I requested. The barrel markings looked different from those I had seen in one of the Colt books I had purchased. I posted photos on the Colt forum site and found out that it wasn't an all original 2d Generation gun. The barrel was a barrel that Colt made to replace 1st Generation barrels and was never used on 2d Generation guns. It still would have been a decent shooter, but I would have paid way too much for a gun that I would have a terrible time trying to sell sometime in the future.
    Last edited by rtw; 12-07-2022 at 09:47 AM.

MGO Member
    Always someone out there looking for those who do not know and rip them off.
    Watch out on internet sales some photo's may not be of the same gun.