Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Air rifle suppressor (need stamp?)

Conflicting info all over.
    PCP rifle need tax stamp for suppressor?
    Read something about air gun specific that couldn't easily swap over to a firearm.
    I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.

Paging Dr. Shyster.
    Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    Lobi,

This is not legal advise but it might at least be worth a read as it takes a common sense approach to the silencers on air guns.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2019...y%20controlled.

This is pretty well how I personally treat an air gun silencer, if the air gun comes with one from the factory (usually non removable) then I don't worry about it as it isn't easily removed & screwed on a firearm.

Personally I don't mess with removable air gun silencers as I have a few real (tax stamped) rifle/pistol firearm silencers so I don't want to screw that whole deal up trying to quiet down an air gun.

Actually my longer barrel .22 bolt guns using standard velocity (subsonic) .22 ammo & a real (tax stamped) .22 suppressor are a fair amount quieter than my air guns using the factory sound suppressor (at least at the shooters ears).

The .22's do seem louder (bullet contact whop) when the bullet contacts a hard target though.

One of these days I might try making an adapter to allow me to screw my (legal) .22 suppressor on one of my air guns but with the .22 S/V subsonic being so quiet on my suppressed .22 guns it hasn't been a priority for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    Paging Dr. Shyster.
    What's that supposed to mean?
    I'm asking a sincere question.
    Edit to add: got it, Shyster will be notified.
    Last edited by Lobi; 11-16-2022 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot77 View Post
    Lobi,

This is not legal advise but it might at least be worth a read as it takes a common sense approach to the silencers on air guns.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2019...y%20controlled.

This is pretty well how I personally treat an air gun silencer, if the air gun comes with one from the factory (usually non removable) then I don't worry about it as it isn't easily removed & screwed on a firearm.

Personally I don't mess with removable air gun silencers as I have a few real (tax stamped) rifle/pistol firearm silencers so I don't want to screw that whole deal up trying to quiet down an air gun.

Actually my longer barrel .22 bolt guns using standard velocity (subsonic) .22 ammo & a real (tax stamped) .22 suppressor are a fair amount quieter than my air guns using the factory sound suppressor (at least at the shooters ears).

The .22's do seem louder (bullet contact whop) when the bullet contacts a hard target though.

One of these days I might try making an adapter to allow me to screw my (legal) .22 suppressor on one of my air guns but with the .22 S/V subsonic being so quiet on my suppressed .22 guns it hasn't been a priority for me.
    Thanks. I did read that article.
    I'm not looking to knock over squirrels, I'm looking to target, sight in and play with velocity/bullet weight to calculate energy. This will be on a 9mm pcp that's known to be loud. Just looking to be able to shoot in the yard and not be a pain to the neighbors. Not worthy of a tax stamp to me for an air rifle specific moderator. Funny how some air guns come with a suppressor from the factory and that's just fine.

I am a Forum User
    Lobi,

Have you tried calling any of the dedicated air gun suppressor companies (I believe that there aren't that many) to see if they will even sell you an air gun suppressor? If they will then what is their advise on attaching an air gun suppressor to an existing air gun? They don't want to have problems with the ATF any more than you do.

I have heard that some won't sell them separately without also selling you a gun fitted with their suppressor. I'm not 100% sure why but would guess that is to keep them from selling a suppressor to someone that intends to (or could) put it on a real firearm.

If you don't have any other real firearms with threaded barrels or barrels that could fit an air gun suppressor then you are probably less likely to run into issues than if you have some with threaded barrels or other barrels that could, with not a lot of work, accept an air gun suppressor. You will probably need legal advise on this.

I can say that I have been shooting real (tax stamped) suppressors on real firearms for quite a few years now and have only had one instance that anyone showed ATF type interest in the suppressor. It was at a shooting range that the range Nazi said I needed to show my paperwork to use in on their range. I told him that if he was authorized to call me out on the suppressor that here is the serial number and to just call it in to verify. Well that didn't go over very good but I did make my point. He really pissed me off though, if he would have asked nicely I would have shown him a copy of my paper work and stamp as I carry a photo copy of my stamps and forms on my cell phone.

If you get this issue fully figured out please post a follow up as this sure is a gray area that is not easily spelled out.

Not sure where you gonna get a 9mm, these guys might know; https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/airgun-silencers/

Back when I was into PCP's there was a euphemism, they were know as "Lead Dust Collectors"

Check the yellow forum also, https://airgunwarriors.com/

What is your thread pattern?
    "The path to true knowledge is paved with wasted money" copyright postban forever!
    NRA Endowment Member, 2AF Life Member, GOA Patriot Member

Quote Originally Posted by postban View Post
    Not sure where you gonna get a 9mm, these guys might know; https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/airgun-silencers/

Back when I was into PCP's there was a euphemism, they were know as "Lead Dust Collectors"

Check the yellow forum also, https://airgunwarriors.com/

What is your thread pattern?
    Thanks for the info to all. It's a 9mm bore.
    The barrel isn't currently threaded nor would I have it threaded. I believe there are some out there making custom slip on suppressors for airguns. If something could be slid on and set screwed in place it would be specific to this gun only and not swappable to any firearm.
    Might just scrap the entire idea and enjoy it unsuppressed.
    Name:  Screenshot_20221119-090204_Chrome.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  20.4 KB

Marketplace Moderator
    Moderators are legal. DonnyFL makes whatever you need. Moderators are not suppressors.. Good Luck.

https://donnyfl.com/

Things have become a little more complicated recently. The DonnyFL site was down for a couple of weeks and just came back on-line in the last day or two, sans airgun moderators. Currently there is a lot of speculation going on as to what happened. The leading theory is that the moderators that are made by DonnyFL are a little too high quality and could potentially survive firearm pressures. Probably nothing centerfire related but potentially rimfire. The issue seems to be specifically with DonnyFL as there are other airgun suppressor manufacturers still operating online.

The general consensus in the airgun community appears to be that moderators that are integral to the airgun such as a barrel shroud are good to go but there does not seem to be any certainty with respect to screw on moderators even if they are clearly unable to withstand rimfire pressures.

I am not a lawyer and even though I have tried to research whatever I can find online, I cannot seem to find anything definitive. Until clarity can be provided, I am not taking any chances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast