Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Detroit Police Department Denying Gun Slips for Private Sale

Detroit Police Department Denying Gun Slips for Private Sale

Hello so I just did a private sale for gun slip/cpl holder.
    I was told gun slip can't be submitted anymore privately
    Without buying pistol purchase permit (under direction by the state)

DPD 3rd pct gundesk

Just wanted to see if I can send this over to MSP because I have feeling this is just happening in Detroit.

I just want to turn my gun slips in ~ this just made me want to move back to Texas lol.

I am a Forum User
    They're rejecting RI-60s completed by a valid CPL holder?

I am a Forum User
    Correct - I'm not sure what I should do. I just want to follow the law & register my pistol. I can't find any communication about this on Michigan gov website
    I came back to Detroit because my grandfather left me a nice house I wanted to fix up/maintain. I've done this cpl pistol process 6 times at dpd 3rd pct with no issue.

Today they said they're following new state direction (they will no longer register private sale pistols without purchase permit).

.. From the RI-060 form on the web
    Distribution: The purchaser shall receive two copies of the form and the seller may retain one copy. Within ten days of purchase or acquisition, the purchaser must submit the registry copy to the city, village, or township police department where the purchaser resides, or the county sheriff. The law enforcement agency receiving the registry copy of this form shall enter the information into the pistol registration database within ten days and forward the form to the Michigan State Police within 48 hours.

My County Sheriffs Department has a Drop Slot at the entrance for the RI-060 (no need to go inside).
    Last edited by zcolt45; 11-21-2022 at 12:44 PM.
    NRA Certified Instructor & Pistol Coach (since 1982)
    Life Member - NRA, DAV, IHMSA, St Pete Police Pistol Club, USPSA/IPSC
    Veteran - Korea DMZ 62~63
    Think Fast - Shoot Fast - Live to see another Day.

Instead of driving around to the Twp, Village, City, County precincts/offices to try to get a person to take a piece of paper from your hand...(which it doesn't say anywhere in the turn in requirements)
    Do they have a dropbox in the lobby? If so, drop it in there and you have completed your requirement.
    Or mail it to them. And you're good.
    28.422a provides all of this info (and there are no recent or pending changes to this - that I know of or can find)
    The purchaser shall receive 2 copies of the record and forward 1 copy to the police department of the city, village, or township in which the purchaser resides, or, if the purchaser does not reside in a city, village, or township having a police department, to the county sheriff, within 10 days following the purchase or acquisition. The return of the copy to the police department or county sheriff may be made in person or may be made by first-class mail or certified mail sent within the 10-day period to the proper address of the police department or county sheriff.
    AND
    The purchaser may carry, use, possess, and transport the pistol for 30 days beginning on the date of purchase or acquisition only while he or she is in possession of his or her copy of the record. However, the person is not required to have the record in his or her possession while carrying, using, possessing, or transporting the pistol after this period.

Just keep your copy with you for 30 days and you're covered.

F... em if they want to try to be a pain in the ass.
    It's not like you get a receipt from the clerk at the desk when you drop off the "licensing authority copy" cutout - just a thanks usually.
    It is not on you to make sure it is entered into MiPISTOL, it's theirs!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by zcolt45 View Post
    .. From the RI-060 form on the web
    Distribution: The purchaser shall receive two copies of the form and the seller may retain one copy. Within ten days of purchase or acquisition, the purchaser must submit the registry copy to the city, village, or township police department where the purchaser resides, or the county sheriff. The law enforcement agency receiving the registry copy of this form shall enter the information into the pistol registration database within ten days and forward the form to the Michigan State Police within 48 hours.

Correct - I printed the form directly from the gov website, triple-checked everything making sure the info was correct & they denied it because they said the state is requiring a pistol permit.
    I even talked to 2 officers at 3rd pct gundesk because I just couldn't believe it

I would figure a major change like this would be on Michigan gov website or make local news

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by alexwolf21 View Post
    Correct - I printed the form directly from the gov website, triple-checked everything making sure the info was correct & they denied it because they said the state is requiring a pistol permit.
    I even talked to 2 officers at 3rd pct gundesk because I just couldn't believe it

I would figure a major change like this would be on Michigan gov website or make local news
    Mail it to Wayne County Sheriff.

Could they explain what new policy/process/law they're following? There's been no change to Michigan Law regarding this. The only change there should be regarding this sales transaction law is getting rid of it entirely.

I am a Forum User
    delete
    Last edited by alexwolf21; 11-21-2022 at 02:00 PM. Reason: delete

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    Mail it to Wayne County Sheriff.

Could they explain what new policy/process/law they're following? There's been no change to Michigan Law regarding this. The only change there should be regarding this sales transaction law is getting rid of it entirely.
    Thanks for the advice
    but Wayne County Sheriff said No - talk to Michigan State Police.
    I'm going to try them next

DPD told me according to Michigan State Police they'll require a purchase permit/background check for any private sales. According to the DPD officers they've had a few felons/non-cpl holders/expired cpl holders try and register private sale pistols & something about marijuana card users trying to register private sale pistols - I honestly didn't understand any of the reasoning because as Law Abiding Citizen (I'm just thinking well hold those individuals accountable & uphold the constitution).

I'm hoping this doesn't become a statewide mandate & just is some confusion amongst law enforcement.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by alexwolf21 View Post
    Thanks for the advice
    but Wayne County Sheriff said No - talk to Michigan State Police.
    I'm going to try them next

DPD told me according to Michigan State Police they'll require a purchase permit/background check for any private sales. According to the DPD officers they've had a few felons/non-cpl holders/expired cpl holders try and register private sale pistols & something about marijuana card users trying to register private sale pistols - I honestly didn't understand any of the reasoning because as Law Abiding Citizen (I'm just thinking well hold those individuals accountable & uphold the constitution).

I'm hoping this doesn't become a statewide mandate & just is some confusion amongst law enforcement.
    MSP doesn't create law. They enforce law. This sounds highly illegal.

Time for MGO to go on the offensive? Sounds like a case to possibly get this entire sales record BS tossed.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast