Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Looks like a person trying to follow a law and the state doubling down and disregarding what is currently in the MCL. Time to find out WHO told them that, Michigan AG?

God this reminds me of 2005 when I moved to Portage and brought my guns I had purchased during my time living in OK and TX.
    I had heard Michigan had stupid laws for pistols, so I went into the PD to ask some questions.
    They told me about the RI60, but that I had to send each and every pistol I had through a FFL first. So, basically walk in with all my firearms that were legally purchased, go to a FFL and pay them $25 to $50 per firearm to then turn around and hand them back to me.
    None of that made sense so I spent about a week on the mi.gov website and there was 0 reference to that.
    Went back in and tried it again. Was told the same thing, but this time the CPT came out and got huffy with me. I just said, "Ok". Walked out and figured, well, guess I won't be registering any of my firearms in this idiotic state.
    Fast forward. I called MSP, told them what I was told by Portage PD. They transferred me around until I finally talked with someone who seemed to actually know what was what. As I figured, the Portage PD had 0 clue what they were talking about.
    Went back in, talked with the CPT, and called the person from MSP and handed my cell phone over. Brief talk, CPT handed me the phone back and said he didn't care what MSP was saying, he knew that that was the law.
    It finally took me getting the local ATF office and a call from the Federal Marshall's office to get that PD to remove their heads out of their collective asses.
    Makes me wonder how many people spent money they really didn't have over many, many, many years of Portage PD saying this was 'law'.
    And now, kiddos, you know why we have lawyers and why you should NEVER take legal advice from cops.
    Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. Ronald Reagan

Gotta be somebody need some killin
    Major Benson Winifred Payne

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    MSP doesn't create law. They enforce law. This sounds highly illegal.

Time for MGO to go on the offensive? Sounds like a case to possibly get this entire sales record BS tossed.
    I called MSP (firearms registration department) they said that's not right at all. They should accept it

They said I could mail it in but to try & submit it to dpd gundesk because they're suppose to accept it. Because they're making something simple into a lengthy process.

The DPD officers seemed very truthful. I'm not sure how this made-up regulation started for them not to accept private gun slips.

I really want to get on the local news about this because it seems so illegal. I'm sure it wasn't just me denied for turning in my slip.

Drop the slips on the counter and walk away.
    Join MGO Date 07-25-2007
    AMAC Member

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JLHOG View Post
    Drop the slips on the counter and walk away.
    that's what I usually do & the lady working the front-desk tossed it back at me. Told me they no longer accept private sale gunslips
    I talked to 2 officers & they confirmed it with the same response with directions from MSP

I'm going to try again tomorrow

Just keep walking. It is on them at that point.
    Join MGO Date 07-25-2007
    AMAC Member

MGO Member
    Mail it in. That’s all you need to do. What they do or don’t do after that isn’t your problem.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsten View Post
    Mail it in. That’s all you need to do. What they do or don’t do after that isn’t your problem.
    Yep. That fulfills your obligation.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    God this reminds me of 2005 when I moved to Portage and brought my guns I had purchased during my time living in OK and TX.
    I had heard Michigan had stupid laws for pistols, so I went into the PD to ask some questions.
    They told me about the RI60, but that I had to send each and every pistol I had through a FFL first. So, basically walk in with all my firearms that were legally purchased, go to a FFL and pay them $25 to $50 per firearm to then turn around and hand them back to me.
    None of that made sense so I spent about a week on the mi.gov website and there was 0 reference to that.
    Went back in and tried it again. Was told the same thing, but this time the CPT came out and got huffy with me. I just said, "Ok". Walked out and figured, well, guess I won't be registering any of my firearms in this idiotic state.
    Fast forward. I called MSP, told them what I was told by Portage PD. They transferred me around until I finally talked with someone who seemed to actually know what was what. As I figured, the Portage PD had 0 clue what they were talking about.
    Went back in, talked with the CPT, and called the person from MSP and handed my cell phone over. Brief talk, CPT handed me the phone back and said he didn't care what MSP was saying, he knew that that was the law.
    It finally took me getting the local ATF office and a call from the Federal Marshall's office to get that PD to remove their heads out of their collective asses.
    Makes me wonder how many people spent money they really didn't have over many, many, many years of Portage PD saying this was 'law'.
    And now, kiddos, you know why we have lawyers and why you should NEVER take legal advice from cops.
    Money spent isn't even the worst part, its that the cops went on with out being punished.

Cops have way to much freedom, to be ignorant, dig there heels in, tell you off, you show them wrong, you are the bad guy and in smaller towns they all say this guy is a X and when you come in you get bad service on everything.

They should be out personally hundreds of dollars that first time, thousands when you showed them wrong, tens of thousands when ATF has to draw them a crayon drawing of how it works.

They live in a completely different world, and its not reality based.

Anyone who paid should get 3-5 times damages, from the cop, not the agency, not the city, the cop that told him to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Looks like a person trying to follow a law and the state doubling down and disregarding what is currently in the MCL. Time to find out WHO told them that, Michigan AG?
    They aren't. Detroit cops are a whole 'nother kind.

They do not even like giving you a receipt. I have multiple friends screamed at and threatened pounded on glass screaming etc flat out refusing a receipt.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast