Ok, so when I read this, I about laughed myself out of my chair.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/handgun-o...n-reason-study

Around 6,000 gun owners carried handguns every day in 2019, up from 3,000 in 2015, according to a study from the American Journal of Public Health published on Nov. 16.
6,000 people carried every day in 2019? Across the US? Are they serious? Well, yes and no. Seems Fox omitted a few zeros at the end of that number. According the actual study 6 MILLION people were extrapolated to be carrying every day. Seems a bit more correct to me.

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/do...PH.2022.307094

From a sample of 2389 firearms owners they got the following results:

In this nationally representative study conducted in 2019 (NFS-2019), we found that about 3 in 10 handgun owners carried a loaded handgun on their person in the past 30 days; among those, about 4 in 10 did so every day. Extrapolating to the estimated 53 million US adults who owned handguns in 2019, we estimate that about 16 million US adults carried a handgun in the past 30 days (up from 9 million in 2015), and that almost 6 million did so every day (twice the approximately 3 million who did so in 2015).4,7

We found no notable differences between the proportion of handgun owners residing in permitless carry states who carried handguns versus those residing in shall issue states who did so. Consistent with findings from NFS-2015, however, we found that proportionally fewer handgun owners residing in may issue states than those residing in permitless carry states and shall issue states carried handguns in 2019. In 2015, we found that 21.1% and 9.1% of handgun owners residing in permitless states and may issue states at that time had carried handguns, respectively. In 2019, those numbers were 33.1% and 19.7%, respectively.
Sounds good to me.

In addition, in 2015, only 1.2% of handgun owners without a permit residing in may issue states had carried handguns; that number rose to 7.5% in 2019. The NFS-2015 question specifically asked about concealed carrying whereas the NFS-2019 question asked about carrying. Nonetheless, if in 2019, as in 2015, only 10% of handgun owners always carried handguns openly (and thus would not necessarily be in violation of a permit law),4 our findings still suggest a substantial increase in the number of handgun owners who carried handguns without a permit when they were legally required to have one.
Well, kind of concerning, but we all know why this happens. Places like CA, CT, MA and NY throw up so many roadblocks and make it prohibitively expensive.

All in a pretty good study, until you get to the last paragraph.

Public Health Implications

On November 3, 2021, the US Supreme Court heard its first case explicitly related to handgun carrying (New York State Rifle & Pistol Association v. Bruen).12 The case tested whether the New York law requiring lawful firearm owners to provide a proper cause to obtain a permit to carry is too restrictive. On June 23, 2022, the Supreme Court ruled that New York’s proper-cause requirement violates the Fourteenth Amendment’s guarantee of equal protection under the law by preventing law-abiding citizens with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms in public for self-defense.13 This ruling could further catalyze the loosening of firearm-carrying regulations in different parts of the country at a time when, as our study indicates, trends in handgun carrying already point to more US adults carrying loaded handguns in public places, including without a permit when a permit is required. The effect of this loosening on firearm ownership and carrying as well as public safety and public health should be an important subject of research in the future.
Ah, there's the other shoe.