Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    MGO Member

New and exciting hunting rifles? Where are they?

Has there been any development in the last few years in the traditional hunting rifle segment, that is widely available?

I've gotten very interesting in hunting and reloading over the past few years, and love seeing what rifles are capable of. I love soaking up information and trying out new equipment including optics etc. but I only seem to see manufacturers pushing the cheaper products as of late. Ruger American, Savage Axis, Winchester XPR, etc. While there is no denying that these rifles can be incredibly accurate for the money, they simply aren't on the same playing field as some of the more premium lines of rifles.

I'm talking about rifles that are equally at home hunting Whitetail in Michigan or Elk in Montana.

I have a Winchested Model 70 Extreme Weather MB in .308, and to me this is a fantastic rifle. My problem is that I like experimenting and trying new things! Other than the Browning X-bolt (didn't impress me much on feel,) and Tikka T3X rifles, what else is out there in the $700-$1600 price range?

I know there are many "small" name premium rifle manufacturers in the $2000+ range, but what about Ruger, Remington, Winchester, etc? I've even wanted to look at all of the other Model 70's Winchester is advertising, but they aren't available anywhere, for the past 2+ years..

Where are the rifles? Is every manufacturer going to Sig Cross / Q Fix type rifles for hunting to appease the millennial/Gen Z Call of Duty crowd?

I am a Forum User
    The AR platform has quickly become the new hunting rifle.

That's where the market is going.

MGO Member
    Good question. COVID is over so there shouldn’t be a staffing/shutdown manufacturing reason that you can’t find new production “traditional” rifles hardly anywhere.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsten View Post
    Good question. COVID is over so there shouldn’t be a staffing/shutdown manufacturing reason that you can’t find new production “traditional” rifles hardly anywhere.
    #1, sales numbers are lower.
    #2, raw materials are still hard to come by, mainly steel.
    #3, more ARs, polymer guns, etc can be made with less steel.

MGO Member
    This just doesn’t make sense. Sure it will take a share of the market but completely replace or take the majority? Seems unlikely. If I’m on a mountain or deep in the woods I’ll trust a bolt gun’s reliability and accuracy over an AR 10 times out of 10. And this is coming from a huge AR fan.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by allstajacket View Post
    This just doesn’t make sense. Sure it will take a share of the market but completely replace or take the majority? Seems unlikely. If I’m on a mountain or deep in the woods I’ll trust a bolt gun’s reliability and accuracy over an AR 10 times out of 10. And this is coming from a huge AR fan.
    The Springfield Waypoint is new, and there's a few others like the straight pull Savage and the Benelli Lupo.

There's ARs that shoot .5 MOA and are crazy reliable. Bolt guns being better in those regards was true a decade ago but not anymore.

I am a Forum User
    Most people just want the cheapest rifle that they can buy. That's why the Ruger M77 catalog is getting smaller and smaller and the American is getting more and more. It's depressing. I went with the Tikka because IMO it's the only inexpensive rifle that doesn't feel cheap. I stuck it in a B&C stock and it's good to go.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseMonkeySRT View Post
    The AR platform has quickly become the new hunting rifle.

That's where the market is going.

I remember the first time (1976) I showed up with a Colt AR15 at a private hunting area that my buddy's father belong to (85 acres up in Alpena, Michigan). They weren't going to allow me to use the AR. They said we're not going there to slaughter the deer. They finally gave in but made fun of me and gave me all kinds of crap while I was there. Times have changed.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by VIGILANT View Post
    I remember the first time (1976) I showed up with a Colt AR15 at a private hunting area that my buddy's father belong to (85 acres up in Alpena, Michigan). They weren't going to allow me to use the AR. They said we're not going there to slaughter the deer. They finally gave in but made fun of me and gave me all kinds of crap while I was there. Times have changed.
    Yep.

Name:  20221126_075210.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  108.5 KB

This is my hunting rifle. Aero .350 build with a Dead Air Wolfman. Aluminum gets cold but that's my only complaint. It's a 1 MOA rifle as well.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by VIGILANT View Post
    What deer-compatible bullets were available back then? I can't think of any.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast