Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

Places to shoot near West Branch?

Looking mainly for public land (State or otherwise) within a 20 minute drive of West Branch where a person can safely and legally plink, sight in a rifle, maybe throw a few clays..

Such places might include old sand/gravel pits, dumps, or out-of-the-way forest/swamp where a shooter is unlikely to be harassed by private landowners or LE personnel.

IF none of the above is available, how about sportsmen clubs with established ranges? I'm not keen on indoor ranges.

Thanks. Look forward to your suggestions..

I am a Forum User
    Liberty Pit is phenomenal. Lemme see if I can find the address.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?client=m...ed=0CCcQ8gEwAA

Quote Originally Posted by TheBackForty View Post
    Looking mainly for public land (State or otherwise) within a 20 minute drive of West Branch where a person can safely and legally plink, sight in a rifle, maybe throw a few clays..

Such places might include old sand/gravel pits, dumps, or out-of-the-way forest/swamp where a shooter is unlikely to be harassed by private landowners or LE personnel.

IF none of the above is available, how about sportsmen clubs with established ranges? I'm not keen on indoor ranges.

Thanks. Look forward to your suggestions..
    We have a cottage up near West Branch and often go shooting at the gravel pit on Fairview rd north of West Branch.

GPS 44.327119550178224, -84.22356651873245

Crawford Sand & Gravel. Take Fairview rd north and then take a right turn into the gravel pits. There are 4 to 5 shooting areas, lots of rocks and very high gravel walls close to the entrance that are used by many. There are some long distance areas that people use for sighting in their rifles ahead of deer season. Bring you own targets and please clean up after you are done.

Attachment 116836
    Last edited by jziggy101; 12-27-2022 at 02:15 AM.
    For Sale - Parachute, used once, never opened, small stain, offers accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
    Liberty Pit is phenomenal. Lemme see if I can find the address.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?client=m...ed=0CCcQ8gEwAA
    Don’t be giving away the secret spot, lol.

It is a great place to shoot. It gets stupid busy on weekends though. I’ll have the place to myself all day on weekdays. You will have to share with ATV’s and dirt bikes. Also be aware of who’s coming in and setting up. There’s no defined shooting line, and there are blind spots with the terrain. Make sure you or someone else isn’t crossing lines of fire. And be sure to clean up your mess. After a holiday weekend the place is full of trash.

It’s an active sand stockpile location for the DNR? to maintain the forest trails. You’ll have loaders show up to load dumps randomly, just give them room. Long Lake Bar has great pizza and wings.

If you don’t have 4x4 and decent tires, don’t go to the bottom of the pit by “the wall”. When it’s dry the sand is like talcum powder, when it’s wet it’s absolute soup. The trails surrounding the pit are a ton of fun, but don’t try it in your street truck. I’ve seen SxS’s get buried from people spinning tires in the powdery sand. There’s only one way in/ out by car, but dirt bikes will sneak in behind the wall from the woods. I keep my ear pro on max to hear people coming.

The DNR rolls through often. I’ve been “stopped” a couple times, but mostly for the officer to talk about guns (and probably phishing to see if I’ve been drinking). They have no problem with people shooting there. By the officers own words, “this is the best and safest place to shoot in the area”.

Last edited by Fuel Fire Desire; 12-27-2022 at 01:29 PM.

Liberty pit near Hale/ Long lake for sure. Here is the pin to the entrance.

https://goo.gl/maps/kG7uc2zfqgJh2NMN9